Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Breakdown and failure survey - please contribute

<< < (4/15) > >>

Craig:
Not mentioned in my above post also had following issues
1. salt water pump on engine had leaking seal on shaft. fixed easily
2. Oil leaks from Sump, timing cover of Volvo D1-30.
3. hinge on cupboard over stove corroded by salt when window left open,
4. Stove - oven door latch broken. rusty grid and fiddles on top of stove.

nightowle:

--- Quote from: Symphony on August 06 2017, 22:45 ---Not sure a failed rudder post - assume you mean what we call a stock = is particularly common. gearings seizing, usually the lower one is more common - and not just with Bavaria as that design was widely used at the time. Symptoms are increasingly stiff steering which could lead to scoring of the stock which is aluminium, although usually it is corrosion in the bearing housing that is the big problem. Rudder blades are prone to osmosis and also cracks that can lead to water absorption in the core of the rudder.

If the boat was unlucky enough to have all of these problems, which are not too difficult to deal with individually, it may well be more effective to replace the whole rudder and bearing system rather than repair.

--- End quote ---

I believe that was the full scope of the problem.  We never spoke directly to the previous owners, but did get some info from the yard that did the repair and replacement with a Jeffa rudder.  The new one apparently has some upgrades to the quality of the bearing and/or housing that is more compatible with the aluminum stock.

Impavidus:
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. Yngmar, ditto to most of yours on my old boat. Tiger, Ditto on my new boat. Craig Ditto both my Bavaria's.  Bob yes. All known issues that come up. But still a lovely capable boat in 45 knots of wind? Shirley, Humm this keeps coming up. Scorcher IV, again same old same old. Symphony, thanks for that good input. Every one else, I thank you for your input, its bringing up just the data we need as a forum and Bavaria owners.

Guests and others. Dont just read this! Please contribute. There is a lot of data and info in this forum from every level of ownership, ability and experience.

Best regards.

Ant

Fenders:
For Bavaria 32 2004

(1) Water ingress (fresh)
         e.   Leaking deck fitting (structural)
4) Engine running poorly
         b.   Water in diesel (filler cap O ring perished)

Salty:

--- Quote from: Impavidus on August 09 2017, 20:23 ---Many thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.
Guests and others. Dont just read this! Please contribute. There is a lot of data and info in this forum from every level of ownership, ability and experience.

Best regards.

Ant

--- End quote ---

Hi Ant, just gathering it all together, and as follows:-
Bavaria 36 2002

1a leaking port light seal - fixed with a smear of Vaseline.
1c all stanchion bases re-sealed, and hands cut off any visitor that uses the stanchions to haul themselves onboard.
1i leaking pump diaphragm
1o leaking F.W. Pump filter (two parts don't fit together very well)

2b  no actual problem, but changed after 9yrs and found perfect
2e raw water pump seal small leak and was changed.
2i exhaust silencer s.s. Ends corroded - changed for all plastic £58 silencer almost one year ago and all ok now.
2j no leakage, but rudder bearing changed after heavy vibrations which now stopped.

3a original starter battery not holding charge and changed after 14 years.
Extra point 3k engine starter push button collapsed and a new starter button fitted which works ok.

4h Lack of diesel - forgot to open fuel valve, but it allowed diesel fuel to pass through but not enough for much more than 2000rpm but for at least three hours

5a saildrive waterway partially blocked by mussel shells
5d heat exchanger seawater inlet end blocked by previous owners pump impeller blades and mussel shells
(5k - should this read Heat exchanger leaks FROM salt water side to FW (blows water out of header tank)
5l see 5f poor design of raw water filter allowed mussel shells to pass thro filter and pump to lodge in entrance to heat exchanger.

8d saildrive difficult to disengage - suspect problem with morse control.
8g milky oil in sail drive at 1st change after buying boat in 2010. Shaft seal changed and no further problem.

9e alternator not charging after work done on 2b where yard mechanic incorrectly connected alternator wires to wrong terminals.
9i fridge not cooling 1. due poor insulation and later 2. Due to loss of refrigerant where pipe chafed against woodwork. Insulation improved but still work in progress, and recharged refrigerant gas and re-routed the pipe to avoid chafe.
9o steaming and tricolour lights not lighting due to corrosion on original ordinary copper wire cabling.
9q water tank level gauge fails. Happened six years ago, and just ignored.

10f two new cupboard door push button  latches fitted where the originals failed.

Plenty more stuff for next set of survey questions.
Regards
Salty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version