Author Topic: Centre cleat installation  (Read 41 times)

N44rag

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria31
  • Boat Year: 2000
Centre cleat installation
« on: Today at 08:39 »
Hi all

Is anyone able to give me some guidance on how to go about installing a centre cleat on my B31, year 2000 model?

The deck has the raised moulding for the cleats and I have sourced the new ones from SVB24.

I have read on the forum that the area is prepared for installation with a backing plate, but I’m not clear whether I have to simply drill through the deck and through the plate fitting a back nut and washer, or try and tap a thread into the backplate.

Also I’ve seen elsewhere that some people drill a bigger hole than the bolt in the deck, fill the area with epoxy, then re-drill through again.

Any guidance would be a great help.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Centre cleat installation
« Reply #1 on: Today at 16:38 »
First you have to find access to the inner side of the deck where the cleat is mounted, usually hidden  in lockers . Once found, it is straight forward. If you have a backing plate already laminated to the deck, simply drill holes and fix the cleat with back nuts and washer.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Centre cleat installation
« Reply #2 on: Today at 18:29 »
The whole point of a backing plate laminated into the deck is that you do not need access from the inside. You drill a hole, cut a thread into the thick aluminium backing plate and insert the bolts into that. That's how the winches and rope clutches were mounted on our 40 Ocean (even though there was access from the inside). The mooring cleats had proper backing plates on the inside and access slots in the furniture for them. No idea what the B31 from 2000 has.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)