Author Topic: Volvo D1 30f compression test  (Read 349 times)

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
Volvo D1 30f compression test
« on: April 10 2024, 16:24 »
My engine loses engine revs slowly after startup. So if I put in gear and apply throttle the revs will drop slowly down to a steady 1250 and hold there.

Have bled engine at the fuel pump etc etc. But on cracking the fuel supply pipes one by one I find the middle cylinder does not drop any revs like the others even though fuel is spraying out!

So I thought I would check the compression first before thinking about the injector.

So where do I get the kit for this, and also the correct method to carry out the test.
Thanks in advance for any info
Geoff

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Volvo D1 30f compression test
« Reply #1 on: April 10 2024, 16:28 »
It's probably cheaper to get a VP mechanic to check it for you.

Worth checking the valve clearances first though.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:54 »
My engine loses engine revs slowly after startup. So if I put in gear and apply throttle the revs will drop slowly down to a steady 1250 and hold there.

Have bled engine at the fuel pump etc etc. But on cracking the fuel supply pipes one by one I find the middle cylinder does not drop any revs like the others even though fuel is spraying out!

So I thought I would check the compression first before thinking about the injector.

So where do I get the kit for this, and also the correct method to carry out the test.
Thanks in advance for any info
Geoff

Hi Mate. If the engine is starting from cold without a problem then there is no compression issue. The injectors may need a service but they are working or the engine would not start. 
I suggest that you look at your fuel system as this is symptomatic of fuel starvation or air being drawn in the fuel supply.  Start at the fuel filters and work your way back through the lift pump, fuel lines and dont forget that the fuel tap or cock can get blocked by debris or bug. Especially if some numpty drilled a hole in the tank to fit a fuel pick-up for a diesel heater, putting plastic swarf in the tank.

Sail Safe mate. Ant & Cid
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Diverphil1

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 33c
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: Today at 16:08 »
Hi, I would look at fuel starvation, slightly blocked somewhere, as if you had lost compression on 1 cylinder, i would think that you would notice the missfire and the engine bouncing about a bit.