Author Topic: b32 header tank  (Read 2821 times)

stone687

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
b32 header tank
« on: January 08 2017, 22:11 »

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

header tank and calorifier on B32
« on: December 23 2016, 22:38 »
QuoteModifyRemove
Hi ,

I recently noticed antifreeze coming from the brass nuts on the inlet and outlet on the calorifier. Both nuts had cracked . I replaced them  and filled up the header tank, however I need to bleed the system somehow. Is it just a matter of running the engine and topping up the header tank or is there a bleed position somewhere in the circuit?

Cheers,

David
SILVER FOX

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Re: b32 header tank
« Reply #1 on: January 09 2017, 00:21 »

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

header tank and calorifier on B32
« on: December 23 2016, 22:38 »
QuoteModifyRemove
Hi ,

I recently noticed antifreeze..................... or is there a bleed position somewhere in the circuit?

David
SILVER FOX

Half way down, starboard side of engine just forward of the lube oil filter (on my MD2020) is the cooling water drain point. You don't mention which engine you have, but this would be a starting off position to help you trace the drain on your engine. On mine the drain is a square headed plug, but some engines may have a tap or bleed screw that can be turned to open without actually removing it all. On my engine the drain plug is somewhat difficult to fit a spanner to in order to undo it, but if you have a 3/8" socket set with a long extension bar, you will probably find that by reversing the extension bar, that the socket in the end just fits the drain plug a treat, and you can then fit an ordinary open ended spanner to the other end. Yes, I know it's the wrong way round and you shouldn't use tools the wrong way blah blah blah, but it fits and does the job a treat !!

stone687

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #2 on: January 06 2018, 18:34 »
I have, very belatedly , seen that I did not post my thanks for this very useful answer ---- Thanks

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 06 2018, 22:58 »
You're welcome David, and thanks for getting back, it's most appreciated.

Regards
Bob

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 07 2018, 10:37 »
...and my thanks too - I always struggle to find a socket/spanner to fit this (plastic) plug so your advice is much appreciated
Jim

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 07 2018, 17:55 »
Thanks Jim, you're very welcome.
By the way, I didn't know that these plugs were sometimes made from plastic. I'd like to fit a drain tap instead of the steel plug on mine, but I've no idea what the thread is except that on my engine it is tapered. So if anyone wants a brass tap with a non tapered thread, I've got one that's sitting idle and waiting for a good home !