Author Topic: Stop solenoid B37 Cruiser  (Read 5265 times)

Jackho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Stop solenoid B37 Cruiser
« on: July 09 2017, 16:28 »
hi folks .. any advice on this problem.  My engine D1-30 wont shutdown. I have to manually decompress with lever beside the solenoid.
Anyone replaced this item with similar or non volvo?  Also can I assume the solenoid is the problem?

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
Re: Stop solenoid B37 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: July 10 2017, 09:08 »
Hi Jacko,
Normally when a stop solenoid fails the engine won't run!  So I would check the relay thar switches it on.  If it is stuck on it will drawing current.
Someone else who is fully conversant with Volvo will hopefully chime in, but most small diesels operate this way? I've often thought it could be worth having a spare onboard?
Cheers Richard
Can I ask, what speed do you get out of your boat under motor, I have the same boat engine combination with a 3 blade folding Volvo prop, but others yachts seem to go faster than I can?

Cheers again Richard

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 10 2017, 10:30 »
if your prop is correctly sized you should be able to cruise at 5.5 knots at 2300 rpm or so and achieve around 7.4 knots at between 3000-3200 rpm in flat water with a clean bottom.

If other boats are going faster than you it is probably because they are using higher RPM and burning more fuel.

There is an emergency stop button on the injector pump at the front of the engine. It is highlighted in the handbook, but is a bit obscure when looking at it on the engine.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: July 10 2017, 11:13 »
Normally when a stop solenoid fails the engine won't run!

That's fortunately not true for all of them. Older designs (like my MD22) have a NO (normally open) stop solenoid, so the engine will keep running even after complete electrical failure. Those will always have a manual stop lever, usually at the injector pump. It's good to familiarize yourself where it is before you need it.

So it's quite likely that Jackho's stop solenoid is broken or not getting power when the stop button/keyswitch is pressed. Easy enough to check with a multimeter.

Stop solenoids are not made by Volvo and widely available. Start by looking for type/manufacturer labels on yours. Make sure you get the right flavour (NO vs. NC).
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 10 2017, 14:04 »
Just checked my D1 30. The emergency stop lever is on the top of the injection pump and cunningly marked with a yellow label with STOP on it!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: July 10 2017, 15:31 »
Just checked my D1 30. The emergency stop lever is on the top of the injection pump and cunningly marked with a yellow label with STOP on it!

Obviously in stealth mode, Symphony.  ;D
ATB

Mark

Jackho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B37
« Reply #6 on: July 13 2017, 21:57 »
Hi folks thanks for your replies. 
I should have mentioned that when the engine didnt stop on holding up the spring loaded stop switch - (not being aware of a manual stop) I valved off the fuel supply in the rear starboard cabin but the engine continued to run.  in order to stop by hanging the engine I put into gear and the engine continued to run but a very low revs.  Anyone suggest why?     it was later my mate came on board to show me the manual stop lever  ( no label but now I know).
So far cant find a solenoid less that £85 !!!!!!!!???

On the other question of boat speed I agree 7.4 at 3200 revs full throttle - volvo 3 blade folder. my sweet spot is at 1800 RPM just under 6KT.  takes about 2200 for slightly over 6.5 kt/

Stockie

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: July 14 2017, 04:12 »
Jacko,

I googled and part number 3584127  and there is a place called part4engine that lists a solenoid for 17 pounds.  So English site.
Thanks Jacko and Symphony for confirmation on speed, mine has a Volvo 3 blade folder, but I am guess it is not an optimal pitch
as my results are 5.8 knots at full whack.  I have found a ebay special, flexo-fold 2 blade 16 x 12 LC  this will hopefully let me keep up with you blokes?

Cheers Richard :P

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 14 2017, 10:18 »
Jacko,

I googled and part number 3584127  and there is a place called part4engine that lists a solenoid for 17 pounds.  So English site.
Thanks Jacko and Symphony for confirmation on speed, mine has a Volvo 3 blade folder, but I am guess it is not an optimal pitch
as my results are 5.8 knots at full whack.  I have found a ebay special, flexo-fold 2 blade 16 x 12 LC  this will hopefully let me keep up with you blokes?

Cheers Richard :P
[/quote

What boat and engine do you have? I have Flexofold 2 blade 16*11 in a 33 with a D1 30 and it is spot on.

Suggest you call Darglow Marine who are the UK agents and they will tell you if the prop is suitable for your boat.

Stockie

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: July 14 2017, 12:30 »
Okay Symphony,
Well the prop arrived today, a second hand purchase in excellent condition from Germany.  The Flexfold looks a far better hydronamic shape and much tighter than my current 3 blade Volvo folder.
I have a 2006 37 with D1-30 I did a new prop inquiry with Flexfold and their first choice was what I have 16 inch with 12 pitch 2 blade. I don't know the pitch on the Volvo prop, but the engine never feels like it loaded.  But strange your smaller boat is correct with a 11 inch pitch.  I guess I find out in August after the haul out?
Cheers Richard

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 14 2017, 12:54 »
Interestingly the fixed prop that came from the factory was a 16*13 but I have never run the boat with that, although I assume that would meet Volvo's requirements. with the Flexofold on commissioning we achieved 3100 rpm and 7.6 knots which is spot on.

Previously the prop was on a 2001 37 with a 2030 but a later 130 drive and it was fine on that as well.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 14 2017, 14:55 »
Interestingly the fixed prop that came from the factory was a 16*13 but I have never run the boat with that, although I assume that would meet Volvo's requirements. with the Flexofold on commissioning we achieved 3100 rpm and 7.6 knots which is spot on.

What speed did you get with the fixed 16x13?  My Cruiser 37 came with the D1-30 and a 16x13 2-blade fixed prop.  I've wondered about changing it for a Flexofold.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 14 2017, 22:22 »

What speed did you get with the fixed 16x13?  My Cruiser 37 came with the D1-30 and a 16x13 2-blade fixed prop.  I've wondered about changing it for a Flexofold.

Have not run it with the fixed prop as I fitted the folder before commissioning. presume it would achieve hull speed at the same sort of revs.

Suggest you talk to Chris or Rose at Darglow as they will almost certainly have your combination on their database or will do the calculations for you. Chris has sized 4 props for me on different boats and got it right each time.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 14 2017, 23:01 »

Have not run it with the fixed prop as I fitted the folder before commissioning. presume it would achieve hull speed at the same sort of revs.

Suggest you talk to Chris or Rose at Darglow as they will almost certainly have your combination on their database or will do the calculations for you. Chris has sized 4 props for me on different boats and got it right each time.

Thanks.