Author Topic: Garmin VHF  (Read 3061 times)

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Garmin VHF
« on: June 16 2017, 07:11 »
We have the Garmin 300i VHF radio fitted. Factory fitted on our Vision 42.
Only hand set is fitted at nav table and I would like to have another hand set nearer the wheels.
I can buy another handset and speaker to mount but would prefer not to drill more holes!
Has anyone had any experience withe the Garmin 20/20i wireless hand set.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Garmin VHF
« Reply #1 on: June 16 2017, 08:24 »
Yes, I have one on my boat.  It's OK, but I think a wired one would work better; the wireless one seems to miss the first bit of incoming transmissions.  I fitted the charging base next to the chart table, and this is where the handset is stored when not sailing.  I fitted the wireless box under the chart table, so it had a fairly clear view of the cockpit.  The handset comes with a belt clip, and I removed the metal part from the plastic clip, then screwed the plastic clip on the cockpit table, so the handset can be safely stored there whilst sailing.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 16 2017, 09:28 »
Club.

You need to fit the Garmin GHS 10i. Your 300i can operate up to 3 hand sets from the base unit. The kit has Deck cable (10 meter), Mic hanger, Mounting hardware, instructions. You simply plug in the extension cable to the base unit and route the cable to the helm position of your choice. The cable has a waterproof cap as part of the deck mount so you can take away the mike when your not there. It will take less than an hour to fit.
The GH10i has full function of the handset at the chart table and can even have an additional speaker fitted. I paid £130.00 for mine at the boat show 2 years ago.  I have seen them on line at port solent for £180. ish. Mine is fitted to the starboard steering binical and is waterproof. Although I also keep a hand held in the cockpit table. to be sure, to be sure   :) :)

See here;
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/28570#box

Hope this helps.

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Club 56

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: June 16 2017, 09:54 »
Ant
Looking at the Garmin info I would need a passive speaker to make that work.
My local Garmin agent supplied just the extension cable. So the idea was to just swap the GHS 10 between the cabin and cockpit when needed. When that din't work I looked into it a bit more. Hence the idea of the wireless system and not to many more holes in the boat.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 16 2017, 11:45 »
Club. Did you plug the extension in the primary (1) socket or one of the others? If I take out my handset at the nav table I can only receive at the helm not transmit for some reason.
I wonder if when using one hand set it has to be on the primary socket? I cant see anything in the destructions  :-[   

I have not bothered with the speaker so it was only one hole for the cable. I have found the handset quite loud and annoying sometimes. (We get people calling the coastguard for a radio checks constantly here)
We have a neighbour that went for the wireless on his fly bridge he said it can be a bit twitchy but works ok.
If I was keeping Impavidus I would probably fit the optional PA/fog horn too.

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Club 56

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: June 17 2017, 04:03 »
Ant

Please see attached info from Garmin. This is what I have thought of following. My plan was to run the extension cable near the wheel and just swap the handset from cabin to cockpit when sailing.
Extension cable didn't come with bulkhead through plate so I would need to buy the GHS10 handset, assuming the through plate comes with the handset. Not sure what the passive speaker does in the system.
The GHS10 handset is about a 1/3 of the cost of the wireless set up. Just weighing up the options.

/Users/michael/Desktop/3615_InstallationInstructions.pdf

Cheers
Club56

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: June 19 2017, 19:22 »
You probably know this but what ever you want to be connected needs to be connected before turning the system on. I found my remote mike did not work if plugged into the system after the radio was running

Regards Tony  Cruiser 33 Pegatha