Author Topic: Fridge Seal on Po Go  (Read 2101 times)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Fridge Seal on Po Go
« on: June 04 2017, 21:07 »
Hi.
Done a few repairs to the fridge. it works well for a few days then the evaporator coil freezes up. this normally means air is getting into the fridge. so prime suspect is there is no seal on the fridge lid. is that correct? or is it just missing?

regards

Abby

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Fridge Seal on Po Go
« Reply #1 on: June 05 2017, 01:18 »
Hi Abby
The fridge lid comes out of the factory with no seal.
I added a seal to mine but did not give a significant improvement.
If you still have the factory fit fridge then these can be quite sensitive to the temperature setting and the amount of moisture in the fridge box. I found that in the Med we could not acheive a sufficiently cool box with out the evap plate freezing up and stopping the air flow thus reducing the efficiency.
Ended up a) increasing the amount of insulation around the fridge box and b) installed an isotherm unit with the compressor unit mounted under the cooker (to avoid the heat generated rising up onto the fridge box).
Works a treat and now have ice for our G&Ts.
Mike

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: June 05 2017, 10:41 »
Some ice on the evaporator is quite normal. You always get some humid air in there when you open the lid and stored items are adding to it as well. It shouldn't be covered in it though.

Adding a small circulation fan (parallel to the condenser fans, so only running when compressor runs) helped mine run more efficiently and reduced ice buildup.

My fridge came with seals, although they were black with mould and falling off, so I replaced them with an adhesive backed foam strip on the lid and a plastic-backed foam strip on the fridge side, that form a good seal together and still permit the sliding action of the split lid. There is a thread about this somewhere on here.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 05 2017, 15:35 »
ps.

i have also fitted a endocube on the air sensor. this reduces the cycling of the compressor and should save battery usage by as much as 85% (Claimed by suppliers).

will give it a proper test on the weekend.

regards

Abby.