Author Topic: Upgrading the Portlights Bav 49 (2003)  (Read 2118 times)

wannathermal

• Swab
  • Go Sailing or stay home!
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 49
  • Boat Year: 2003
Upgrading the Portlights Bav 49 (2003)
« on: January 04 2018, 02:18 »
I would like to upgrade the portlights on my Bavaria to stronger/offshore capable portlights. The current portlights are BAVARIA Portlight / 698 x 190 mm
Does anyone have info on another portlight that would fit the opening so as too retrofit?

Bob
Professional Lagoon Delivery Skipper

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
Re: Upgrading the Portlights Bav 49 (2003)
« Reply #1 on: January 04 2018, 16:43 »
Why you conclude that the portlights are not offshore capable? The portlights are Lewmar, this at least are the types on a Bav 38 2003. I assume that Lewmar supplies Ocean duty portlights. Also the Bavaria boats have CE A cetification.

wannathermal

• Swab
  • Go Sailing or stay home!
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 49
Re: Upgrading the Portlights Bav 49 (2003)
« Reply #2 on: January 05 2018, 16:50 »
Yes and Yes! They are Lewmar Ocean duty and yes they are CE certified A. But, since I plan on replacing them as part of a refit I would like something a little more robust. Not all CE A parts are up to snuff as the certification is a minimum standard for the useage. As I plan on sailing this boat on the Atlantic circuit professionally over the next few years I would like to beef up these big wholes in the cabin sides. I am already dropping the keel to do an ultrasonic inspection of the mounting area as I am sure someone will warn about the keel mounting.

Bob
Professional Lagoon Delivery Skipper