Author Topic: Drying out bav 38 lead keel  (Read 5784 times)

Clouds

• Swab
Drying out bav 38 lead keel
« on: January 29 2017, 21:15 »
Hi this is my first post on this forum. I'm considering a circa 2003 Bav 38 with the deep lead keel and wondered if anyone on this forum has experience of drying one out (10metre tide range!) alongside a wall or jetty?

I would not plan to do this often probably just the odd overnight and typically on a concrete drying pad. The primary benefit would be a for quick jet wash, antifoul, anode change between tides, rather than the £500 I would pay for a lift in my marina.

I want the deep draft lead keel to maximise performance. I have owned shoal draft and while theoretically as stiff they have shorter rudders to prone to lose grip when on the limit.

Thank you for any advice.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Drying out bav 38 lead keel
« Reply #1 on: January 30 2017, 08:22 »
It is feasible to do this on a drying pad. I think you will find the deep keel is made of pig iron not lead - but I could be wrong. If it is pig iron it will need more work to clean and prepare than you may think. I have been doing the anti-foul on my boat for 10 years now and it takes me 3 hours to do 1 coat of Cruiser Uno (a popular anti-foul brand) from end-to-end. This does not include preparation time. I think you will be struggling to do all the jobs in one [tide] and you may want to consider planning to do them over a couple of cycles.

Clouds

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: January 30 2017, 23:35 »
Thanks. It is advertised as a deep lead keel but cannot find any detail on its shape, I'll double check.

I'd have about 8hours so plenty time to antifoul and anode change. Perhaps every other year I would cradle her for a proper job.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 31 2017, 00:51 »
Thanks. It is advertised as a deep lead keel but cannot find any detail on its shape, I'll double check.

I'd have about 8hours so plenty time to antifoul and anode change. Perhaps every other year I would cradle her for a proper job.

Allow enough time for the paint to dry :)

The default shallow draft keel (cast iron) is a bulb shape (data sheet with sketch), while the upgraded deep draft (lead-antimony) is a dorsal fin type, as depicted here:

It may need support under the bow to keep it from pitching over forwards (at the very least trim weight aft), but can rest on the keel just fine.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Clouds

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: January 31 2017, 07:13 »
Brilliant many thanks.

I think I would risk drying out on that keel. For the first time I'd have a pole to support the bow.

On previous boats I've powerwashed and antifouled over a low water. Though I'm considering coppercoat and I would then just have to power wash once or twic a year.

A lot cheaper than the £500 a proper loft costs. :D

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: January 31 2017, 07:43 »
Clouds

I think you are correct regarding the lead keel.

My 2004 Bavaria 32 also has a lead keel.
Apparently it was a factory fitted option.
Mine is ashore at the moment being antifouled and is next door to another 32 of a similar age.
The other one has a cast iron keel and requires a lot of attention due rusting and pitting.

Fenders

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 31 2017, 09:39 »
On a slighty different note - I tend to find that my Bav 37 (shoal draft) tends to want to sit back on the rudder - hence I put the support in (well actually a friend in a wetsuit did!)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: February 02 2017, 08:40 »
I can assure you my bavaria 38 2003 with manufacturers ( wouldnt think there would be any third party keels ) lead keel is a standard deep fin with flat bottom , no bulb , no sweeping curves , flat deep and solid lead

singlefish

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: February 02 2017, 09:12 »
B38 2003 deep lead keel

singlefish

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: February 02 2017, 09:24 »
Ps the deep keeled b 38 of the 2003 era is a fantastic boat , very fast , very easily handled by two , excells in all departements , with 55 hp cream on the cake !

Much admired with its timeless looks .

Weve cruised all over west coast scotland for which its ideal , fast easy passages , ability to motor into anything if required ,

Cruise mainly ,every weekend and holiday my wife and i .

And won many white sail races , infact 3rd worst result

Infact dont let anyone say they dont go upwind , we were 3rd across the water in a race 25 miles upwind in a force 4-5 only just behind a sunfast 40 , ahead of first 40.7 only beaten by "drum " the 70 foot maxi on hcap .regularily beat benny 37'9, 409' s and 2:1 in our favour against starlight 38 ,all across the water , up and down .

Easily depowered rig that can be flattened off and full sail carried up to 25 knots if it takes your fancy .

Tons of room , we love ours , heading into our fifth season

Clouds

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: February 03 2017, 07:05 »
Brilliant response many thanks. This is a top forum where the responses are actually useful!

Clouds

• Swab
« Reply #11 on: February 03 2017, 07:57 »
Hi Singlefish,

Your sailing requirements mirror mine. Any tips or modifications for maximising performance. I'm guessing you have decent sails and a folding prop to be performing so well? And a clean bottom :)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: February 05 2017, 00:46 »
Yes , ive got a vectran main , lightdacron with vectran weave through it , sets beautifuly and is supposed to keep its shape for at least 10 yrs , cost same as a heavier best dacron , and a properly cut genoa , best dacron ,

Clean bottom most of season ,

Volvo three blade folding prop , makes huge difference over fixed , no lack of performance under motor either . For sailing performance a folding ,feathering prop is a must .

Otherwise up wind flatten sails off and pull,them in , tight ! The b38 rig is amazingly versatile .

Good luck