Author Topic: Zinc anodes  (Read 3198 times)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Zinc anodes
« on: January 24 2017, 19:34 »
I have just lifted out my B39 and the zinc anodes on the sail drive and folding prop are perhaps 25% worn. I intend replacing the prop ones in any case and so I placed the worn ones in some vinegar and this completely dissolved the corrosion residue leaving what seems to be just pure metal. Can anyone tell me if it's a good idea to clean the main anode in this manner. Will it alter the properties of the zinc and render it ineffective as an anode?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Zinc anodes
« Reply #1 on: January 25 2017, 08:37 »
The zinc should be unaffected by the acetic acid (which is what vinegar is). It will oxidise again as time passes and go dull. However, you may have shown us another way to clean these up :)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: January 26 2017, 20:01 »
Coca-Cola is pretty good at cleaning things. Also, and as I mentioned quite some time back in a posting elsewhere within the  forum, so too is monkey urine !!! :sick

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 27 2017, 09:54 »
Coca-Cola is pretty good at cleaning things .... so too is monkey urine !!! :sick

I'll just nip down to Dartmoor Zoo then. Anybody else need some? Also, if I put it in used Coke bottles, will that double its effectiveness?

(not sure I want to find out how you know that, Salty)
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: January 27 2017, 17:11 »
Coca-Cola is pretty good at cleaning things .... so too is monkey urine !!! :sick

I'll just nip down to Dartmoor Zoo then. Anybody else need some? Also, if I put it in used Coke bottles, will that double its effectiveness?

(not sure I want to find out how you know that, Salty)

Aah, 'twas an observation from an old sea dog !
Specially for you Mark I found the original posting, so if you look at the unread posts you should find it. Alternatively click on Home and type monkey into the search bar and look for reply no 8. I'm not sure what happened to the monkey in question, but the Chief Officer was not very happy with it. Some time later the other one was tethered by a rope on one of the sun decks, and used to leap over the side if anyone came near it, climbing back up the rope tether a few minutes later. Well one day the tether had got so worn, that I just hope the poor animal was a good swimmer.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: January 27 2017, 21:15 »
Thanks, Salty. I found it and it gave me some ideas...
ATB

Mark