Author Topic: Replacement of fuses with breakers  (Read 5571 times)

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Replacement of fuses with breakers
« on: January 08 2017, 22:27 »
On Dance Lightly Too - 2005 Bav 36 I have two larger fuses. One 125 Amp for the windlass and one 100 for the panel I assume. Has anyone replaced their fuses with breakers?
1. I would rather have the ability to reset the breaker after checking for the problem.
2. The fuses are not common in many remote areas of the Pacific Northwest
3. Are these fuses resettable?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Replacement of fuses with breakers
« Reply #1 on: January 09 2017, 08:19 »
Although I have not fitted trip fuses/breakers the following information suggests fitting a trip is possible:
Overcurrent protection is protection against excessive currents or current beyond the acceptable current rating of equipment. It generally operates instantly. Short circuit is a type of overcurrent. Magnetic circuit breakers, fuses and overcurrent relays are commonly used to provide overcurrent protection.

Overload protection is a protection against a running overcurrent that would cause overheating of the protected equipment. Hence, an overload is also type of overcurrent. Overload protection typically operates on an inverse time curve where the tripping time becomes less as the current increases. Overload relays as well as ?slow blow? fuses are commonly used to provide overload protection.

Some devices provide both overcurrent and overload protection. A thermal-magnetic circuit breaker has both thermal (overload) and magnetic (overcurrent) elements. Both elements operate as described above. Likewise the dual element fuse has both instantaneous and inverse time characteristics in the same fuse providing both overcurrent and overload protection.

What I would say is that to 'blow' the existing circuit fuse you will have to apply a serious overload - why do you think you might do this? Don't forget, your equipment is protected by other (lower rated) fuses.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: January 09 2017, 09:13 »
Blue Sea Systems have these kind of switches/circuit breakers.
I installed one for my inverter (50 or 60A ).
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7144/187-Series_Circuit_Breaker_-_Surface_Mount_100A
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 09 2017, 09:52 »
The fuse you depicted is not resettable. It's a NH blade type. When it triggers, the red indicator dot pops off and you have to replace it. I carry a few spares, which are widely available from industrial suppliers. Never needed to replace one yet. Searching for NH fuse <rating> should find you plenty of sources.

(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 10 2017, 03:28 »
I agree that having a resettable breaker rather than a fuse would be preferable.....however...

I spent hours on the net searching for a circuit breaker that I could plug into the current fuse holder.  I could not find one.

The circuit breakers described by Lyra have lugs that are much smaller than the connections in my Bavaria 38 (2009) model.

I did source spare Wurth fuses after an extensive internet search  ( same as one's supplied with boat) but can't remember where.

I have only had one fuse trip in 6 years, and that was while trying to raise the anchor in 45kn of wind during a thunderstorm in Petriti in Greece with a boat dragging down onto us.

I have found it easy to keep spare fuses and hopefully won't have a need to blow 2 fuses before I can oder more replacements.

It would be great if there is a stock standard circuit breaker with the same lugs as the Wurth fuses. If anyone knows of any, I will order 2.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 10 2017, 08:56 »
I agree that having a resettable breaker rather than a fuse would be preferable.....however...

I spent hours on the net searching for a circuit breaker that I could plug into the current fuse holder.  I could not find one.

The circuit breakers described by Lyra have lugs that are much smaller than the connections in my Bavaria 38 (2009) model.

I did source spare Wurth fuses after an extensive internet search  ( same as one's supplied with boat) but can't remember where.

I have only had one fuse trip in 6 years, and that was while trying to raise the anchor in 45kn of wind during a thunderstorm in Petriti in Greece with a boat dragging down onto us.

I have found it easy to keep spare fuses and hopefully won't have a need to blow 2 fuses before I can oder more replacements.

It would be great if there is a stock standard circuit breaker with the same lugs as the Wurth fuses. If anyone knows of any, I will order 2.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Craig, why not consider the fuse holders for car audio systems (big speaker/amplifier type)? I used one of these for an additional battery I added to my system. You don't have to worry about lugs - just cut the cable and fit into the ends. Price is very attractive too  ;)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: January 10 2017, 23:15 »
I think  this is a good idea. I have had the windlass fuse blow twice in strained circumstances. It would be less stressful to be able to reset quickly. I intend using Blue Sea breakers mounted on their own board before fixing to  the bulkhead - many wires are connected to the fuses(3) which makes this job a little daunting.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: January 10 2017, 23:25 »
If you're sold on the idea of fitting breakers, there are very cheap ones on eBay too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-300-Amp-Manual-Reset-Circuit-Breaker-12v-24v-Car-Auto-Boat-Audio-Stereo-Fuse-/122112552097

I've ordered one for my new inverter a little while ago, but it hasn't arrived yet (international delivery), so not sure if they're any good.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: January 11 2017, 09:36 »
.............Id have had the windlass fuse blow twice in strained circumstances. It would be less stressful to be able to reset quickly.........

Recently I needed to remove the cabin lining between the forward end of the fore cabin and the chain locker, and the photo below shows, amongst other things, how the windlass wiring was found. Note the absence of any insulation around the cable joins, and where the cables could easily move about while the boat was at sea. Having had a bow repair (not my fault, I wasn't onboard on that occasion), I suspect that this was not the way the original installer left the wiring. However it could be worth checking to see that the joins are properly insulated in order to prevent any accidental tripping or blowing of fuses.