Author Topic: boom reefing jammed  (Read 4060 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
boom reefing jammed
« on: January 07 2017, 10:07 »
Hi guys

My BAV 41 (2003) fitted with Selden single line reefing has developed major problem.

I put in a deep reef and now cannot remove it.

I believe the car is jammed.

Can anyone provide a remedy.

Thanks

Aquapore

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: boom reefing jammed
« Reply #1 on: January 07 2017, 12:13 »
The deep reef has probably crossed over reef one and jammed . You may be able to free it by pulling hard on reef one ,failing that you will have to take off the outer boom end cap and pull the whole mess out backwards. Be careful not to drop the little rollers on the cars they drop as soon as the car clears the boom. Geoff

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2017, 19:51 »
Thanks Geoff.  The system is jammed with reef 2. I will try your suggestion. In the meantime can you describe how the cars move within the boom. Do the cars run on tracks and what prevents the cars and associated lines from interfering with each other.

Regards

Aquapore

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 07 2017, 21:47 »
The cars run on tracks on the top and base of the boom on either side, they run on rollers which engage in slots. If you take reef 2 before first taking reef 1 the cars will cross with the possibility of a loose line snagging. GO ON ASK ME HOW I KNOW. The way I recovered it was to remove the boom end cap and pull out the cars with the lines. As I said before it may be possible to pull in on reef 1 and free it that way. Best of luck!! Geoff

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: January 08 2017, 09:12 »
Hi guys

I put in a deep reef and now cannot remove it.

I believe the car is jammed.

Can anyone provide a remedy.

Thanks

Aquapore

After you have taken off the end cap, and dropped the little nylon wheels(expletive) that you need to be careful not to lose as they are ridiculously expensive for what they are (been there and spent that). Next you need to un-jam the traveller car within the boom as Geoff has said. On my boom the car that jammed most frequently was on the port side, and I found that adjusting the reefing line to ensure, when the reef is put in, that the car does not travel so far along the boom as to reach the end where it would then invariably jam up. To do this you need to ensure particularly that the forward piece of the reefing line, namely the bit attached to the forward part of the main sail is as short as you can make it consistent with allowing the sail to be fully hoisted, but without any significant slack in the line. That has resulted, on my B36(2002), in no more jammed reefing cars. Since then I've put a mark on the reefing line so that every time I reattach the sail after the winter lay up, that the reefing lines are secured in exactly the same place, and life then becomes boringly uneventful !

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 08 2017, 12:36 »
http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-706-E.pdf

Have a look at the above link and it will give you a good idea of the internal set up within the boom.

Simon

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: January 08 2017, 18:22 »
Thanks Guys,

I tugged at all lines without success. Then I noticed that the port side car traveller was jammed hard up at the outboard end of the boom.

With several gentle taps by a 4 lb lump hammer (via a plastic drift) that traveller become free and the lines became loose. I have not raised the sail as yet.

Having read the various responses I was wondering if an improvement might be, to place a 6mm bolt through the boom section at each end, so as to limit  the amount each car can travel. This would limit the size of each of the reefs but does that matter.

Would appreciate feed back.

Regards

Aquapore

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #7 on: January 08 2017, 19:24 »
I would be concerned at any 'modification' to the existing set-up. The 'system' is fine - and, without being too condescending, it may be the operator who is at fault  ??? I have jammed my reefing lines too and used all the above to clear them. However, by frequent practice at keeping the lines tight (but not putting too much tension on them) usually have a jam-free sail once reefing becomes necessary. You may want to consider this before changing the existing set-up or making any modifications that may not work in the longer term ;)

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: January 09 2017, 05:53 »
I think you have to open the boom.
You may control the travelers. there are four little rolls, maybe they are away ore one of it, or it is defect.
to away that the traveler go to much back it is necessary to choose the right length of the line wich go to the front side of the sail. it is responsible to give the traveler the right brake.

sorry for my pure english, hope you understand what I trie to say