Author Topic: Wax and rubbing compound  (Read 3115 times)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Wax and rubbing compound
« on: January 07 2017, 07:21 »
Hi. We are in the process of buying a ex charter Bavaria 38 Cruiser (Survey on Tuesday) and i want to take advantage of the boat being out of water to polish the hull and give a coat of anti fouling. what waxes and rubbing compound and polishing wax everyone recommends? also what anti foul and where can i buy it near Southampton? as i am new to sailing i am sure i will asking lots for lots of advice.also if there are any skippers interested in moving the boat from Southampton to Brighton marina for me in the next 2 weeks it will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

Noelio (Abby)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Wax and rubbing compound
« Reply #1 on: January 07 2017, 08:01 »
I've had great results with Meguiars #45 Polish, followed by Meguiars #56 Wax - these are both very easy to apply by hand and polish off by hand.  I do 2 applications of polish, followed by 2 applications of wax, and it lasts 2 years.  If you need to compound, start with the mildest stuff you can find.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2017, 10:04 »
Hi there, I think I know the boat, in Moodys yard, was on board it 2 weeks ago.

My boat was simlar when I purchased it left in the sun not used.

My recommendations are as follows.

You need the boat ashore.

You need a professional polisher

Use oxalic acid to clean the hull off, diluted.

Use Farecla compound, I use G3

Use a "nano" polish, its fills in the microscopic holes so crap does not stick, Google it.

Then use you favorite wax polish.

I live up the road from Moodys if you want more detailed information on that model of boat and modifications.

Send me an email.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 07 2017, 10:41 »
Most anti foulings work, but it may be useful to find out what others use where you are going to keep your boat. Otherwise I would use one of the cheap self eroding ones and re asses at the end of the year. You will need at least 5 litres and probably 7.5. Some come in 3 litre tins so buy two and see how it goes. Use a roller to apply.

Any chandler such as Force 4  will stock a range of Anti foul.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: January 07 2017, 21:35 »
I'd go along with each of the recommendations above, but while your boat is ashore, also drain out the sail drive oil to make sure it's clean and free from any water contamination, it goes mushy and looks awful if there is water in the oil. If water is present its almost certain that the bearing seals will need to be changed. Also ask the seller if, and when the sail drive gasket was last changed. Volvo recommend you change it after no more than seven years of service. Evidence would suggest that the recommended frequency is over kill, but you need to think about what your insurer might say if the seal is more than seven years old and your boat starts taking on water.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 08 2017, 03:43 »
I am not sure of the active ingredient in antifouling paint in areas outside of Canada. Please use caution with copper based paints to not paint over the aluminum on rudder bearing housing and engine leg. I can show you the results of corrosion resulting in a seized rudder and replacement costs of the rudder housing and bearing borne by the last owner before he was able to sell.