Author Topic: VP sail-drive diaphram  (Read 7591 times)

Cdogg

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30C
  • Boat Year: 2008
VP sail-drive diaphram
« on: June 26 2012, 10:23 »
Hi,
Has anyone had a VP sail-drive 'through the hull' diaphram replaced recently. Any recommendations from personal experience of a West Coast of Scotland company and what the cost was.  The engine is a D1-20, the leg is a 130S-B, and the gearbox MS25S.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
cdogg

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: VP sail-drive diaphram
« Reply #1 on: June 26 2012, 22:29 »
They are very strong seals

Cdogg

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 27 2012, 07:35 »
Yes, insurance is my main motivation along with maybe it being more sellable with the work done, and a bit of peace of mind.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: June 28 2012, 00:38 »
I did mine myself, took a day with two of us. We wasted a lot of time trying to avoid moving the exhaust and moving the engine forward as much as the instructions said. In the end we gave in and followed them.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Cdogg

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: June 28 2012, 08:18 »
Unfortunately I am not now fit enough to do this kind of job.

I am surprised that I still haven't heard from anyone with personal experience of having the work done by a marine engineering company around the Clyde area given the number of VP sail-drives around, surely everyone can't be doing the job themselves or ignoring the recommendation to change it!

I have also emailed 4 engineering companies for a quote (2 of whom are VP agents/dealers) and haven't even had the courtesy of a reply.

Cheers
cdogg

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: November 19 2014, 22:38 »
Having bought my 2002 B36 secondhand, I had the saildrive hull seal changed by the lads in the workshop at Craobh Haven on the west coast of Scotland during the winter from 2010/2011, and I think the share of the cost attributed to changing the seal was in the order of £400. The total bill was significantly more on account of other work also carried out where I had the saildrive shaft bearings and seals changed at the same time due to water contamination of the oil. They did a good job and I've had no problems except for noticing that the alternator connections had been put back incorrectly. That was fixed right away, but it was fortunate that I'd made a careful note before hand of which wires were connected to which terminals, and had checked on completion of the work before running the engine.
The saildrive hull seal is supposed to be changed every seven years, and while I did not see the new seal before it was installed, the old seal which had been fitted from when the boat was new nine years earlier, appeared in very good order.  It makes me wonder why Volvo recommend to change it every seven years, but until they suggest it has a longer life then I guess our insurers will take a sour look at any claim if the stated life has been exceeded.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: November 20 2014, 08:03 »
Although not done it myself, a friend with a B38 (2002?) changed his himself last year and didn't have too much hastle. He also reported the condition of the old seal as "very good, couldn't see anything wrong with it".

I think a good question here is: "has anyone heard of one failing?"

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #7 on: November 20 2014, 09:55 »
The question that needs answering is:-

What is the specification Volvo use to state the diagram needs changing at X years.

To make a statement like "   best before " date it has to be based on facts. What are those facts?

Its about time Volvo started to do the right thing and told people facts.

Never seen one taken out that looked like it would have failed.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: November 20 2014, 10:40 »
Hi Cdogg

Although it's in Plymouth, I had mine done last year by the local Volvo dealers. It was 13 years old and in perfect condition. It was also the best part of £800 including the parts. That may be the driving reason behind the 7 year limit. I've not heard of one failing and, more to the point, neither had the chap who did mine (although I'm sure Volvo would cite that as justification for it). I think it would be more realistic to retain the 7 yrs limit (or even 10) and then have annual inspections as part of the insurance requirements. Whilst it's a critical component, it is also simple in construction and easy(ish) to check when out of the water. Odysseus has raised a good point but based on their history, I doubt it will ever happen.
ATB

Mark

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #9 on: November 21 2014, 04:26 »
I believe the diaphrams are 'date stamped' by the manufacturer? As Volvo will have bought these in it may be the manufacturer who has specified the limit and Volvo just pass on this recommendation. Any ideas as to who manufactures them and why the specific time limit?

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: November 21 2014, 20:35 »
Date stamping of rubber products is quite normal. Reason is because its limited shelf live and to track production issues. Volvo will likely not produce these diaphragms themselves, but indeed specifies the 7 years time interval. Why I don't know, but likely to prevent any risk and because of the price to earn a fortune.
However, Insurance companies take over this recommendation. Therefor it is important when the diaphragm is changed that it is changed by a part which shows a recent manufacturing year and not one which was on the shelf for years! Insist on this when you buy one or you have it changed by a (VP) repair/maintenance shop.
Ger

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #11 on: November 21 2014, 22:44 »
Date-stamping of all sorts of parts is normal, and is rarely a sign that the part should be lifed. Take off almost any plastic interior trim bit in your car and you'll find a date stamp. Likewise all the bits of plastic that make up a computer case.

I understand that Yanmar make no recommendations at all for replacement of the seal on their saildrive. I must therefore conclude that Yanmar saildrives are superior to Volvo in this respective. So stick that in your pipe, Volvo  >:D