Author Topic: The best polish/compound to use on a 2006 Bav 30 cruiser  (Read 3050 times)

saltash182

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Hello,

Having brought my Bav 30 cruiser this year I have not yet machine polished the hull, Im looking at doing it next week when it comes out of the water and wondering what the best polish or compound to use. Its a 2006

Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: The best polish/compound to use on a 2006 Bav 30 cruiser
« Reply #1 on: October 25 2016, 15:38 »
There is no "best" polish. The chandleries are full of different types from major manufacturers such as 3M, Farecla, Starbrite, International. Very little to choose between them, and you will find people have their own favourites.

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
« Reply #2 on: October 25 2016, 16:01 »
I do mine once a year.

Use Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by some 3M Ultra Performance Paste & Wax

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
« Reply #3 on: October 25 2016, 16:23 »
Since a couple of years ago I use 3M products. I am happy with the results.

3M Marine Imperial Compound and Finishing Material 06044 E for oxidized areas plus 3M Marine Finesse IT II Finishing Material 09048 E plus 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax 09030 E

I tried various all in one or two in one products (restorer and wax, polish and wax) but was never happy with the result. We owned a Bavaria 30 built in 2005 until last year and then bought a Bavaria 37 built in 2006. At the first boat I rarely used the compounding material but mainly the finishing material plus the wax. The boat was in good condition. The deck of the Bavaria 37 had been given very little attention and was fairly oxidized in some areas. The results of the application of the compounding material were not as good as I had hoped. I then sanded these areas with 3M softpads. Then I used the compounding material plus the finishing material plus the wax on all areas of the deck (other than the nonskid section) and I am happy again. I am confident that the efforts that have to go into the deck and the hull this winter will be less than last winter. 

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: October 25 2016, 16:47 »
If you want a 2-in-1 that works, International just released a "Polish & Wax" (that's a bottle with both words on, as opposed to two bottles with one word each). After being given a sample, I bought two bottles, as it was the first 2-in-1 that actually worked for me.

The best product to use depends on the state of the gelcoat, not the boat manufacturer or anything else. If the gelcoat is discoloured you need a cleaning product first (or oxalic acid), if it's very chalky (UV damaged), you need a more abrasive polish first.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)