Author Topic: Dehumidifiers  (Read 3481 times)

pab506

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2016
Dehumidifiers
« on: October 10 2016, 15:45 »
I have recently purchased a new Bavaria Cruiser 37 , its our first boat. We are really pleased with it although there are a few snags that I am waiting for Clipper to sort. She went into the water in late August and it is my intention to keep her in all winter and make the most of her. We will probably get down to her every 2/3 weeks and I am thinking of keeping a dehumidifier running whilst we are away, together with a couple of electric tube heaters set to low. I have a friend who almost lost his boat after the dehumidifier caught fire and this has obviously made me think long and hard about installing one.
Has anyone else got bad experiences of dehumidifiers? Would you recommend them and if so what type/model etc.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Dehumidifiers
« Reply #1 on: October 10 2016, 16:02 »
In over 20 years of keeping boats in the water all year round, I've never used a dehumidifier.  In my experience, ventilation is all that's needed.  I bought a Cruiser 37 in 2014 and have kept it in the water all the time since; over 2 winters it's shown no problems with damp, possibly because it's such a well-insulated design.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 10 2016, 21:01 »
Bought this one last year when I bought the boat. I'd say it was absolutely indispensable, especially since the boat had leaks then (no longer does). Being a desiccant type, it produces some heat and does not freeze over at low temperature, so in mild south coast climate you probably won't need the tube heaters at all.

It's been a year and a half now and it has been in use for most of that time, including occasional use for clothes drying inside the cabin on rainy days (simply hang up clothes in a cabin with the dehum, set to clothes drying mode and close the door). Also handy when drying out plywood that had gotten wet from a leak, and I've even used it to dry out difficult to access bilge areas. It has a condensation tank and also came with a piece of hose that can be plugged into an opening on the back and plumbed into the sink when leaving the boat for a while.

Didn't catch fire yet and I doubt it's any more likely to than a shorepower charger or fault in the DC system is, although it developed the occasional squeak - probably wants a drop of oil on the fan bearings. I've also made the mistake of using it while varnishing some things inside and it has taken on a bit of a smell from that (luckily not synthetic varnish, so harmless).

Would recommend getting one. If you have a hygrometer (most cheaper digital weather stations do), you can easily tell if you're at risk of mould growing: only happens above 65% relative humidity (also only when spores are present - more of which will be flying around in marina air than on swing moorings).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

pab506

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 11 2016, 10:18 »
Thank you both for your comments. I think as things stand, having taken both of your experiences into consideration I will get myself a Hygrometer and monitor the levels of humidity over a period of a few months. As far as venting the boat is concerned I think with the main hatches (3 in the saloon) set at half lock, internal cabin doors left open and the aft cabin port light, cockpit side left open (I have a cockpit enclosure so no rain will get in) this should be enough.
If I do decide to go down the dehumidifier route I have been told to get one where you can set it to not drop below a certain percentage of humidity, 65%, as the woodwork can dehydrate, crack and change shape. Does the one recommended allow this? Couldn't see any mention of it on the website.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 11 2016, 11:06 »
Another consideration is to use table salt in small (yoghurt) pots, for example, and place these in strategic corners. The salt is hydroscopic and will attract water from the air (make sure you allow space for the water). Do a trial run and see how much water is collected. This may influence your decision-making process.

We  have used this method and it has worked well for us when over-Wintering for over 10 years of boat and static caravan ownership.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: October 11 2016, 12:07 »
If I do decide to go down the dehumidifier route I have been told to get one where you can set it to not drop below a certain percentage of humidity, 65%, as the woodwork can dehydrate, crack and change shape. Does the one recommended allow this? Couldn't see any mention of it on the website.

Yes, best to just leave it in auto mode and plumbed into the sink when you leave the boat. It's not adjustable, but will stop at around 50% RH or so. The woodwork cracking thing sounds a bit like an urban myth. Certainly not at the normal regulated range of RH - you wouldn't set the thing to full power mode unless drying laundry.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 11 2016, 13:25 »
No need for a dehumidifier. I bought my new 33 last July and it has been in the water continuously since then. Bone dry. Never any sign of water inside and still "smells" of a new boat. Like tiger 79 I have never used a dehumidifier in any of my boats over the last 30 odd years - even a wooden one.