Author Topic: Whisker Pole  (Read 2248 times)

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Whisker Pole
« on: September 05 2018, 18:12 »
Is there a correct way to measure for a whisker pole.  I was looking on line and it was suggested to measure from the mast attachment horizontally to the forestay.  Would this result in a correct measurement?  I thought it would depend on the type of genoa fitted.

It's for a Bav 39 2008,with a 150% (I think) genoa fitted, just in case someone already knows the answer.

Thanks.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Whisker Pole
« Reply #1 on: September 05 2018, 20:08 »
If you want to pole out the whole Genoa, you need the length of the foot, or thereabouts. That'd be around 6m on your boat (4m "J" * 150%). A telescoping pole is the only sensible way to deal with this and still be able to store it and also gybe it.

Alternatively, you can use a shorter pole, the length of your "J" measures (around 4m) with the Genoa partially furled. Less drive of course.

We use a Selden telescopic pole that extends to 5.9m I think, although it was outrageously expensive. The poled out Genoa makes a good light air downwind solution (if you don't have any other sails for that), but it's a bit of a dance to set it up.

At additional cost you can have it on a mast track (easier to set up that way and stores flat on the front of the mast).
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)