Author Topic: Bavaria 36 2004 - Has anybody installed an inner stay?  (Read 7500 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Bavaria 36 2004 - Has anybody installed an inner stay?
« on: September 27 2016, 11:43 »
I think an inner stay would be the better solution for a storm sail (over any solution that is based on the forestay with a furled Genoa).
There is an empty small flat section in the foredeck, about midway from mast to bow, but I am not sure that it is intended or suitable for installing a forestay, mainly in terms of mechanical strength of the deck.
Anybody installed one or knows what this area is intended for?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: B36/2004 - Has anybody installed an inner stay
« Reply #1 on: September 27 2016, 12:25 »
Just bolting it through the deck is not likely to be of sufficient strength - in really nasty weather it would likely pull your deck up. My boat came with a factory fitted inner forestay and storm staysail. It consists of a very large U-bolt that goes through the deck and attaches to a massive chainplate mounted on the partial bulkhead aft of the sail locker and bolted through into the cabin (and there covered up with a piece of teak trim). At the top it exits at just such a blank deck area as you describe.

So on your B36 that is very likely what [img=http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resize/1/3/27/5400327_20150930011552031_1_XLARGE.jpg]http://that blank area[/img] is for, as it looks in the right place to fit the chainplate on the anchor locker bulkhead, which is really the only place it can be mounted that has sufficient strength.

The top of the stay goes just below the forestay to avoid needing running backstays to stabilize the mast against forward pull like you would have on a true cutter rig. This method is documented by Selden for masthead rigs only, but not for the 7/8th fractional rigs Bavaria has. It seems to work so though, although I've not flown it in anger yet.

The sail is packed up ready to launch as easily as possible (flaked and sail-tied with the sheets attached instead of neatly stowed away - in the sort of weather it comes into use I'd like to spend as little time as possible on the foredeck). There's a snapshackle on the halyard and one on the tack of the sail so it can be attached and raised quickly. The halyard goes through a rope clutch on the mast - you don't really need a winch to pull it up and tighten it, but you do want a cleat on the mast to make it off after the rope clutch. The staysail sheets can run through the genoa cars if the genoa sheets are tied off to a cleat somewhere forward (I used a midships mooring cleat) and then dropped loosely while remaining in the cars (I hadn't yet figured that out in the photo below).

(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: B36/2004 - Has anybody installed an inner stay
« Reply #2 on: September 27 2016, 14:01 »
Thanks - will take a look at the chain locker bulkhead - I think it would be a challenge to get inside for doing some work there.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Bavaria 36 2004 - Has anybody installed an inner stay
« Reply #3 on: September 27 2016, 22:33 »
... bolted through into the cabin (and there covered up with a piece of teak trim)...
On my boat this trim prevented a door from opening fully, now replaced with ply and vinyl.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

ZhuHai

« Reply #4 on: October 03 2016, 16:40 »
I have an removable inner stay on my B36 2002. It was installed by the former owner who did an North Atlantic loop few years ago.
I bought a stormjib for it but never had the opportunity to use it.
I have two points where I can hook the stay. In front of the chain locker, the former owner added a large inox plate doubled below in the chain locker by another one. Looks very sturdy.
Behind the chain locker I have also a factory mount retractable ring. As Yngmar says, it might not be strong enough to handle the stay in serious winds. Right now I use it to tie the dinghy.
The top hook for the stay is very close (15/20cm below maybe) to the genoa hook so no need of backstay.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: October 03 2016, 16:58 »
Snapped some photos of mine. Thumb for scale :)

(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ianburtoncamera

• Swab
    • Award Winning Adventure Film Productions
  • Boat Model: Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: October 24 2016, 16:48 »
I have an removable inner stay on my B36 2002. It was installed by the former owner who did an North Atlantic loop few years ago.
I bought a stormjib for it but never had the opportunity to use it.
I have two points where I can hook the stay. In front of the chain locker, the former owner added a large inox plate doubled below in the chain locker by another one. Looks very sturdy.
Behind the chain locker I have also a factory mount retractable ring. As Yngmar says, it might not be strong enough to handle the stay in serious winds. Right now I use it to tie the dinghy.
The top hook for the stay is very close (15/20cm below maybe) to the genoa hook so no need of backstay.

On my 2001 bav 40, I have a similar pad eye aft of the chain locker, it's only bolted through the hull and not strong enough for an inner stay, but directly below the eye is the chain locker bulkhead directly forward of the forecabin, I wonder if the ply bulkhead is strong enough to reenforce the deck eyelet for the stay, or is the ply bulkhead itself not strong enough on its own?

I see that Yngmar has done similar to this, but his setup is a little different, and I worry that the cruiser chainlocker bulkhead is different to his bulkhead on his Ocean and therefore not as strong? before I start drilling holes I want to make sure. I'd like to fit an inner stay, but not sure if I have to continue the reinforcements through to the bow.

🌅  2001 Bav 40 Cruiser 🌌

ZhuHai

Re: Bavaria 36 2004 - Has anybody installed an inner stay?
« Reply #7 on: October 26 2016, 18:18 »
The inox plate is reinforced by another inox plate below the deck in the chain locker.

There is also an adjustable inox link between these plates and the lower bolt of the chainplate of the forestay.

Here a set of photos: