Author Topic: Captain's seat goes overboard  (Read 7253 times)

jeff.sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2005
Captain's seat goes overboard
« on: June 19 2012, 03:17 »
On a trip to Block Island this past weekend we hit some choppy seas going through the Race.  The person at the helm was pushed back into the Captain's seat (the curved seat that separates the cockpit from the swim platform) which proceeded to fall off it's mount, then down to the swim platform, then into the drink.  Unfortunately it was not clipped down.

We immediately turned to retrieve the part only to learn that it does not float; it sank before we reached it.  So now, what to do?  The obvious answer is to have Bavaria send us a new one but I'm dreading a frightening bill, plus customs and shipping costs.

Any other fixes?  What say you all? 

Jeff

simonr

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Captain's seat goes overboard
« Reply #1 on: June 19 2012, 18:59 »
Is there anyone with the same boat local to you who you who would let you make a plug from their seat to make or get made a new one?

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 24 2012, 23:44 »
I think that solution would only work if
1) Bavaria spares prices are particularly unreasonable
2) You can make the mould and new part yourself to an adequate standard, and don't count the value of your time

Otherwise I think the OP has little choice but to order up a new seat (or make the Captain stand up in future).

simonr

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #3 on: June 25 2012, 12:01 »
I didn't say it was an ideal solution, but the question was about alternatives to buying from Bavaria, and that although a ball ache is a valid option if you or someone you know has the skills.  ;)

Hawkesbaynz

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
« Reply #4 on: June 25 2012, 13:03 »
Had a quoye for 450 plus value added tax sterling for one for a Bav 33 :o

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: June 26 2012, 15:33 »
To late for your seat but come fellers get a grip and put a line on them, Bavaria make lots of monies out of you.

Look at the photo, it's easy.

Odysseus
Odysseus

jeff.sailor

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: June 27 2012, 07:23 »
Odysseus, wish I thought of your "put a line on it" solution before it went overboard.  Right now I'm looking into a Bavaria replacement as well as asking a friend to look into fashioning a new part.  If he can, I won't try to duplicate the original, which I thought was over-large and awkward to handle, but something more modest and usable.  Thanks to all who replied.

Jeff

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #7 on: April 02 2014, 11:37 »
Hi,

I used a couple of lengths of bungee cord to secure mine, and also crossed them diagonally so the starboard side of the seat is connected by bungee cord to the port side deck fitting and similarly for the port side of the seat. This allows the seat to be turned when lifted thus giving some slack in the bungee cord to give space for whatever you need to do. It works a treat when changing gas canisters etc.

kenwood1957

• Swab
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: April 02 2014, 14:27 »
When ours went in the drink near our mooring Bavaria were unable to supply replacement. Fortunately, on second attempt, divers found it.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 02 2014, 19:04 »
i have seen a Bavaria with a rather nice slatted teak seat in the south of France, i thought it looked better/lighter than the original, AND IT FLOATS!

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 03 2014, 20:30 »
Hi, it is a French site but in case you want to buy the original, check  http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/1166-siege-homme-de-barre  at 600 euros.
They are very reliable and propose many Bavaria parts.

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #11 on: April 07 2014, 19:41 »
Bav 36 (2002) - Ours floated when it went overboard! But since then I have fitted a rope from the middle which attaches to the nearest rail of the push pit. When not in use it sits in the corner on the edge of the cockpit.