Author Topic: Holder for a computer  (Read 2802 times)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Holder for a computer
« on: August 31 2016, 15:42 »
I was wondering if anyone has some sort of  holder that would hold a computer or and iPad on the console. I live in US and nothing is metric so anything bought here does not fit right. I want to do this because my C70 is so outdated , still functional but hard to set courses. Has anyone updated their C70 with anything that is not too expensive . Thanks for any help .

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Holder for a computer
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2016, 22:20 »
Just about to replace my c70 with an Raymarine A95 and a quantum radar. The A95 has similar width and slightly greater height for the console mounting hole. Not cheap though - in meantime I'll be using antique iPad 2, which seems very slow.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: September 01 2016, 06:03 »
I would give this company a look. Railblaza is a company that makes after market mounting solutions for nearly every use imaginable. https://www.railblaza.com/

I bought an iPad mount and the corresponding rail mount for the 1" stainless tubing. A part broke after 3 years. I emailed the company in New Zealand and within 4 days I had a replacement in my hands in Canada!

Harvey

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: September 01 2016, 09:32 »
For a tablet in the cockpit I bought a car headrest mount, threw away the headrest part and fitted insert nuts into the cockpit table.

My main notebook computer is in the chart table, with a monitor on a vertical rail. Attached picture before various panels replaced...
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2016, 09:58 »
After some thought I decided not to have a fixed tablet in the cockpit because I found it much more convenient to be able to use it while sitting or lying on the benches rather than having to be at the helm to look at it.
Basically on passages the helmsman needs only to keep course (and at close quarters keep looking around), so there I installed an older GPS unit which contains a very basic chart and has the waypoints programmed. Typically it provides the "highway" view, but can be switched to other pages for additional information.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004