Author Topic: Morse cable fittings  (Read 2683 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Morse cable fittings
« on: August 22 2016, 11:38 »
The Volvo set up is not fool proof, to my near cost last year when entering Vannes in France.  Upon hearing a "PING" from inside the binnacle, "What was that?" my wife said. I don't know, but soon found out as I tried to go astern. Nothing. Panic. Told wife to stand by anchor. Lucky for me a French boat was astern of me and as it overtook I said HELP, gear box problem. Lucky again the skipper was very competent and took my bow line.

Upon investigation I found the problem: the linkage retaining plate at the top of the cable in the binnacle had come off the plastic lugs that hold it in place. These lugs are designed poorly for such an impotant role, the shoe plate should be retained a lot better than this. To get at this setup is very difficult,  and took the best part of 3 hours to find the shoe plate and put it back on.

Therefore my "fix" has been to put 2 small tie wraps around the shoe plate on top of a turn of amalgam tape. The tape stops the tie wraps from slipping and they are easy to cut through if required.

Taking photos is not easy but I have done my best to show setup.

Hope this helps
Odyseeus
Bav 38
Odysseus

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: morse cable fittings
« Reply #1 on: August 22 2016, 12:27 »
Hi Odysseus

When you say '...find the shoe plate...', do you mean it had dropped down through the binnacle into the hull? I think I'll have a look at my setup when I'm down there tomorrow... thanks for the heads-up. 
ATB

Mark

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Morse cable fittings
« Reply #2 on: August 22 2016, 20:15 »
Yes it had fallen through to the area under the binnacle.

Not easy to find.
Odysseus.
Odysseus