Author Topic: Lewmar Autopilot Motor  (Read 16623 times)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Lewmar Autopilot Motor
« Reply #25 on: September 07 2016, 07:26 »
The clutch is an electromagnet. Mine failed last year, was able, with significant help, to disassemble the unit and identify that the electromagnet had failed. A replacement cost about ?70 compared to well over a thousand for a new unit.

Can you advise source of replacement clutch.  I seem to recall when mine failed a replacement clutch was £300.
Being sure it was impossible to "burn out" I removed to find internal connection has come away from the coil.  A bit of digging out of the epoxy got it re soldered. However at 70 euros I would be tempted to buy a spare.

I spoke to Skipperwales and he made a mistake with the £70 price, it was actually ?450+ from this company, http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/1391-integra
Robbery!!

I have sourced the clutch from the manufacture (£191 including VAT), but it has yet to arrive (details same as JohnK has given above)

Stephenson Gobin | 20 Longfield Road | South Church Enterprise Park | Bishop Auckland | County Durham | DL14 6XB
Office: +44 (0)1388 770 360

www.stephensongobin.com

See attached Drawing for future reference below.

I will measure the Ohms when the new unit arrives and post results.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #26 on: September 07 2016, 08:34 »
I doubt if it would cost more then the £70 originally, and apparently erroneously, suggested by Skipper Wales in one of the postings above, if you took it to an electric motor rewinding firm as I suggested earlier.

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #27 on: September 07 2016, 08:44 »
I doubt if it would cost more then the £70 originally, and apparently erroneously, suggested by Skipper Wales in one of the postings above, if you took it to an electric motor rewinding firm as I suggested earlier.

Your right, Its going to cost me less that £70 as I'm going to rewind the old one myself when the new one arrives!

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #28 on: October 11 2016, 14:47 »
As promised, here is the reading of the new clutch.
7.4Ω

4grobis

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #29 on: November 09 2022, 16:40 »
Hello,
I would like to continue this topic once again. I also have this autopilot with the engine 8930011.
The problem with my Bav 37 CR is that the clutch holds for the first 1-2 minutes and only then slips. The problem appeared now in the fall. There are 12 volts coming to the outer wires of the clutch.
Will this also be the fault of the clutch described here by the others, so I have to replace it?

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #30 on: November 09 2022, 19:25 »
Hello,
some pictures of my DIY project. I repaired 2 clutches in total.