Author Topic: Quick windlass. Won't turn  (Read 5075 times)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Quick windlass. Won't turn
« on: July 24 2016, 23:00 »
The motor is working and the outside cylinder revolves however it is not engaging the drum to turn to pull up the chain. We have tried to tighten it securely to no avail. Do I have to take apart the whole unit in order to make the drums engage ? Is there a utube to view ? I have never done any maintenance could this be the problem thanks

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Quick windlass. Won't turn
« Reply #1 on: July 25 2016, 06:08 »
Can you give more info on model

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: July 25 2016, 11:37 »
It is a Quick Hector Hc

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: July 25 2016, 13:35 »
http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/downloads/Quick-Hector-Windlass-Instruction-Manual.pdf?did=321
 Referring to the exploded view in page 14 - which parts do you see rotating (per your description part #19 is not).
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: July 25 2016, 21:42 »
I think I wore out the motor so I think I need a new one. Trying to remove it there are 2 screws forward does anyone know how we find the aft bolts . This is a 2007 Bavaria 30 . Thanks

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #5 on: July 25 2016, 23:06 »
I thought it was turning?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 26 2016, 00:03 »
It was then all I heard was a clicking noise. Also the gypsy cover was not tightening up the rep said I needed a bussing. I thought a new one would be fine since I cannot remove the old one even to have someone look at it. However in either case I can remove two bolts but cannot locate the others or is it glued down

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: July 26 2016, 00:12 »
I think I wore out the motor so I think I need a new one. Trying to remove it there are 2 screws forward does anyone know how we find the aft bolts . This is a 2007 Bavaria 30 . Thanks
I don't have the Quick Windlass but the Lofrans Cayman. Both have the fixation from the underside. The front bolts you can find via the anchor locker. For the aft bolts I hope for you that you can find them via the front cabin and removing the front cover plate in the cabin. In my boat the aft connection was just in the wall between the locker and the cabin so not reachable. (Winlass was most probably fitted before the deck was fitted on the hull). My winlass had a fully corroded base and the (aft) studs were pulled out. So I didn't need to reach them from below. The refurbished windlass was placed approx 30mm backwards, so I could drill holes to place studs which I could reach from the front cabin (behind the panel)
Ger

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: July 26 2016, 01:36 »
Thanks I was worried about that .

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #9 on: July 26 2016, 10:09 »
It was then all I heard was a clicking noise...
Like this? https://youtu.be/cSg3Dg5N2zE

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: July 26 2016, 12:09 »
Not even that noise , more like a click click

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: July 26 2016, 12:12 »
So my dilemma we need to go cruising where we will need to anchor . I am not going to take my boat apart to remove the old one . Any ideas how I can rectify my situation ?

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #12 on: July 26 2016, 13:22 »
looking again at the exploded view I see that there are two solenoids inside the housing (#58) - the fact that you heard ticking sounds indicates that they may be the source for the problem (very much like a case when an engine starter does not respond).
I think it would be possible to open the 4 screws (#6) and take off the cover to expose them and the motor.
If you can then I suggest the following:
Make sure that there is 12V at the ends of the thick cables (maybe you will need to press the up-down buttons of the control pad for this to happen). If there is no 12V the problem is probably not with the windlass but with the electric supply and should be traced back to the electric distribution panel.
With a big screwdriver try momentarily shorting one at a time the left and right bolt with the center bolt  (the bolts on the motor).  If the motor does not respond then the motor is dead.
If the motor responds then then the problem is with the solenoids (one or both) or with the control signal to them.

S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #13 on: July 26 2016, 17:42 »
At the beginning of my problem there was some juice running into the device . The unit would not turn to move the teeth of the chain unit. It spun around however after we removed the gypsy cover upon placing the cover back on you could see that the cover did not seal flat . I think playing around with the device we wore it out . I was thinking about coming to a dock today and plugging into shore power to see if anything different happens . So right now I have a unit that was not maintained for 8 years to turn and with celonoids probably dead. It is more feasible to purchase a new one for 400 or acquire parts for maybe close to half the price. Further all I can't remove the unit because I can't access the rear bolts. I contacted a Bavaria rep who asked me to send him a picture to see if they could tell me how to remove it. I am not going to ruin my boat for 2 bolts. I will test the manual use of anchoring today so that my admiral will feel somewhat relieved . I can't wait to pull up 60 feet of chain. I am still trying to think about any alternatives to placing a new unit next to old or mount it to the pulpit . Thanks Vinnie

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #14 on: July 30 2016, 09:21 »
... I contacted a Bavaria rep who asked me to send him a picture to see if they could tell me how to remove it...
Any luck? Do reply with the picture, perhaps we can help.

I doubt very much that "playing around with the device we wore it out", more likely you have a bad connection, or have tightened something onto a seized part.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 30 2016, 17:53 »
Vinnie, HI.

Are you sure the lock lever is in the right position and it is moving/engaging correctly? These tend to get jammed up with salt crystals a hot kettle of water can free it , then lots of WD40 in the area.   
It sounds like the solenoid is not fully engaging but if the motor is running both ways, then its a mechanical issue. Does the motor change note when running in and out? If is does then the solenoid's are ok and working. (It will be a very slight difference in note) They can get mucky contacts but a few forward and back with a fully charged battery will clear the points normally.

Most of the winches I have had apart have binding issues or are jammed up, (Corroded) normally its the clutch locked up, its seldom a problem with the motor itself, and usually lack of use not over use that kills them.
There is not normally a need to remove the winch to give it a good service, and its normally something simple. Work your way slowly through the system starting with battery power (extra batter of known output). Switches and contacts finally motor and solenoids. Before looking at mechanical issues when you get to that point take off the gypsy and drum/clutches and give them a good clean, before opening the winch.   I am sure you find it without too much trouble........

If you have to use the anchor and want an easy way to retrieve it........... Tie a long warp to the tail of the Anchor, deploy using chain as normal. When it comes to pulling up the anchor put the bitter end of the long warp through the bow roller or forward fairlead and around your main winch. You can then take all the strain on the chain off and lift it easily. Even better if  there is on eof you on the chain and one on the winch ::)

Hope this helps. 

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing