Author Topic: Bav 39, Shower Drain  (Read 3135 times)

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Bav 39, Shower Drain
« on: July 29 2016, 13:28 »
It appears we have had a slow(ish) fresh water leak from the tap in the forward heads. This water has accumulated under the shower cubicle.  This does not drain into the lower bilges with the result that when we heel over to port a significant amount of water flows into the next compartment and we now have a "tide line" up the cabin carpeting. I can't see how to remove the water from under the shower other than removing the drain and pipe assembly and this doesn't want to budge.  Any ideas please.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bav 39, Shower Drain
« Reply #1 on: July 29 2016, 17:40 »
I can't see how to remove the water from under the shower other than removing the drain and pipe assembly and this doesn't want to budge.  Any ideas please.

Brute force may be required!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: July 29 2016, 19:30 »
Drill a hole (8mm or so) in the GRP floor in the corner where the bilge has the lowest part, stick down the tube from your Pela oil extractor pump and slurp it up. Then either fill the hole with Plastic Padding Gelcoat Filler, or put a white plug in for next time.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 29 2016, 21:37 »
Thanks for the replies. I had considered drilling an inspection hole, but chickened out.  I will tug a little harder on the drain hose and hope I can get it back in again.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: July 30 2016, 09:05 »
After flooding the area under my basin with a hose I also discovered it didn't drain away. I drilled a limber hole where this area should have joined the bilge.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 30 2016, 16:11 »
It appears we have had a slow(ish) fresh water leak from the tap in the forward heads. This water has accumulated under the shower cubicle.  This does not drain into the lower bilges with the result that when we heel over to port a significant amount of water flows into the next compartment and we now have a "tide line" up the cabin carpeting. I can't see how to remove the water from under the shower other than removing the drain and pipe assembly and this doesn't want to budge.  Any ideas please.

Hi. You should be able to push an aqua-vac hose under the tray via the sink door access. there is a gap between the tray skin and the bilge which is where the water got in there? You may find that you have to cut a small section of hose to tape in to the end of the vac hose. But, moving it around under the tray will get most of it out. You can then use a powerful hair dryer for an hour or so to take out any dampness.

Wikes do a cheap aqua-vac that sucks or blows for under £40. (I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere :o :o :o ) We use our to pump up the tender too! Best bit of multi use kit on the boat!

Hope this helps 

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing