Author Topic: Single-line Reefing Set Up  (Read 8819 times)

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
Single-line Reefing Set Up
« on: June 11 2016, 21:43 »
We currently have a single-line reefing boom set up on our 2002 Bavaria 40. We are fairly new to sailing and learning about reefing.... I have heard very mixed things about single-line reefing set ups and that they are no good and it is recommended to change it out as they can get caught up inside the boom, etc. (we haven't used it yet) That said, the boat came with a second reef that is currently lost inside the boom and we're not sure how to get it out! Also, anyone out there have a 3rd reef point? Do you like it? Use it?

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Single-line Reefing Set Up
« Reply #1 on: June 11 2016, 22:59 »
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: June 12 2016, 08:38 »
My selden single line has worked well for 16years, I would not change it at all. When the boat was new I had a third reef fitted to the sail , it has never been used. The only precaution I would take with single line is that reef 1 is taken BEFORE reef 2 that way the internal cars don't cross. Geoff

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 12 2016, 20:43 »
I have 3 reefs in mine but the 3rd is only to the clew, the luff has to be manually hooked onto the reeling cringe. The 1st and 2nd work fine though but when shaking them out a bit of manual help is needed at the clew to get some slack. The third reef wasn't possible to be single line as there would have been much to much line incolved. I have used that third reef quite a few time and been very glad of it.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #4 on: June 12 2016, 23:49 »
My selden single line has worked well for 16years, I would not change it at all. When the boat was new I had a third reef fitted to the sail , it has never been used. The only precaution I would take with single line is that reef 1 is taken BEFORE reef 2 that way the internal cars don't cross. Geoff

Fully agree with Geoff.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: June 13 2016, 08:03 »
We currently have a single-line reefing boom set up on our 2002 Bavaria 40. We are fairly new to sailing and learning about reefing.... I have heard very mixed things about single-line reefing set ups and that they are no good and it is recommended to change it out as they can get caught up inside the boom, etc. (we haven't used it yet) That said, the boat came with a second reef that is currently lost inside the boom and we're not sure how to get it out! Also, anyone out there have a 3rd reef point? Do you like it? Use it?

I have a third reef which I fitted to my B37 and is also a single line. There are only 2 cars in the Selden boom so you have to (carefully) run the 3rd reef line under the existing lines and outhaul cable. Also, you will need a turning block on your mainsail to bring the line back down again. Blocks are also required at the base of the mast to bring the line back to the cockpit. However, I note you say 'new to sailing'. I would suggest there is no way you would want to be near any weather requiring a 3rd reef just yet  :o

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 13 2016, 10:47 »
We currently have a single-line reefing boom set up on our 2002 Bavaria 40..... the boat came with a second reef that is currently lost inside the boom and we're not sure how to get it out!

Hi Sail Princess,
Several years ago I too lost one of the reefing lines within the boom on my B36(2002). In order to resolve the problem, and in addition to looking at those downloads from Seldon referred to earlier in this thread for guidance, The first thing was to remove the black aluminium moulded end cap from the aft end of the boom. The loose end of rope from the second reef was seen to be laying out of reach some halfway along the boom. So I decided to start from scratch and pulled the entire rope out from the forward end of the boom. Threading a light line to use as a pull through first around the sheave where the reefing line enters the boom, I then attached it securely with a rolling hitch around the nearest piece of rope within the boom from the first reefing line (this was quite tricky), and was able to pull the first reefing line such that the light line was caused to travel to the aft end of the boom. Unfortunately my memory is a bit rusty on what came next, but essentially by using the reefing line that was in position to haul the light pull through line from one end of the boom to the other and finally pull the second reefing line back into position, it was possible to resolve the problem. During the process I found it necessary to remove the car for the second reefing line, whereupon the wheels for that car fell out. They are only held in place by good luck and a thin smear of grease, and when they fall out, at least one will hit the deck and bounce overboard. At that point one is likely to utter some four letter word like "Oops," but that is nothing near as strong as what I thought of the price charged for new wheels.

When I had a new mainsail made I was asked if I wanted, and was persuaded to have provision for a third reef, but have never used it partly because I have not got a third reefing line fitted, and partly because I think if the weather gets that bad that firstly I don't need a sail up, and secondly it's time to fire up Mr Volvo and go home. The main thing with reefing I think is to get it done before the weather gets bad enough to need it rather than after, and particularly with in mast reefing where I've seen, experienced and heard of too many occasions where owners have had difficulties in not being able to retract their main sails on account of them jamming or tearing.

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #7 on: June 23 2016, 10:57 »
I have a 3rd reef in my Bavaria 39, which I really like. The boom only caters for 2 single line reefs so if I am running 3 reefs then it is a trip to the mast for one of them, depending on the set up. Depending on what I am doing I use only 2 reefs (1 and 2, or 2 and 3) or all 3 rigged, when I usually have the 3rd reef as the single line. This does mean a trip to the mast when the weather is getting more interesting.

It is a bit of a pain re-rigging the reefing lines and managing 3 lines can be a faff when hoisting if single/light handed. Lubricating all the rigging wheel bearings is essential and I purchased a hypodermic syringe and blunt needle to reach the awkward ones in the boom.

I would always prefer to have some sail set in heavy weather due to the stability it gives the boat, even when under engine. It does make a big difference.

One major limitation is the strength of the sails. I have the standard Elvstrom Dacron sails that came with the boat. I managed to tear the main with no reefs in on one occasion off the Western Scottish Isles. My fault, though in 2 years when I plan to replace the sails I will be looking as something stronger - dyneema/carbon weave perhaps? I do think the standard sails are a little light.

I like the idea of in mast reefing though I have no experience with this. For cruising purposes, especially light handed on bigger boats, it surely has to be the way forward.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 23 2016, 13:20 »
In mast is definitely the way to go if you value ease of handling over ultimate performance.

No need to go for really hi-tech fabrics to replace your current sails. Talk to a sailmaker who will give you the options, or look on sites such as Sanders Sails for a review of the different types of fabrics, and their features. Will get you up to speed before you ask for quotes.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 25 2016, 07:57 »
The problem with retrofit in mast furling is that the mast and boom must be replaced.
For running lines through the boom I have used conduit which means you get the line in the right place. As with mousing any lines through a spar, make sure you pull all other lines tight so they do not sag or get wrapped around the new line. You can also use the conduit to push the reefing car to the right end of the boo so you can attach all the required lines. Nigel posted the link for the rigging diagram so I will not repeat that.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
« Reply #10 on: July 13 2016, 11:57 »
Sailing in Scottish west coast its not unusual to get caught out with stronger winds than the shipping forecast predicted.
So a third reef in the main is a good idea even if only used once or twice in a season.
I have a system that utilises two line reefing for the third reef but sacrifices some other control lines to that end.
The outhaul can be left fixed and its internal linkage transferred to the leech end reef.
The genoa halyard can be left fixed and its links back to the cockpit used for the luff reefing line.
Note this means I cannot tweak the outhaul setting or easily adjust the genoa halyard tension but then who does?
I find this meathod works for me 

alan burns

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #11 on: July 16 2016, 17:38 »
When you do get caught out in heavy weather my B34 has to have a third reef or she is simply over canvased. I don't regard the engine as a good alternative as it may not be working and the boats motion is not as good when motor sailing as it is under sail. We have reef one and two as in boom single line reefs and the third reef to the clew is also in the boom. My solution for pulling down the third reef at the tack, with the reefing line led back to the cockpit involved fitting additional deck organisers on top of the originals on longer mounting bolts, together with additional clutches. The reefing line from reef three at the luff of the mainsail passes down to a small harken block with a fixed becket which is fixed to the reefing cringle for reef two. When reef two has already been hardened down, the harken block provides the fixing point at the boom for reef three saving a journey to the mast. The last thing you want to be doing is leaving the cockpit when the conditions are so bad that the third reef needs to be deployed. I have a set of photographs but as yet have not managed to upload them to the forum. If anyone seriously wants to carry out this modification then I can be contacted at alanburns1@talktalk.net.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #12 on: July 17 2016, 23:39 »
... The reefing line from reef three at the luff of the mainsail passes down to a small harken block with a fixed becket which is fixed to the reefing cringle for reef two...
That sounds interesting,  please do upload your pictures.

While in reply mode, click Additional Options below the text window. Here you can upload pictures.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 18 2016, 08:28 »
I have successfully used a single-line 3rd reef for some time. Please see attached drawing

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 18 2016, 18:46 »
Thanks Dawntreader, that looks an easy enough set up.

My boom currently does not have any provision for more than a first and second reefing, don't know why. Perhaps it's something the previous owner had removed, or maybe it was not specified when the boat was new.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #15 on: July 18 2016, 23:27 »
The boom isn't long enough to drive a third reef using the same sliding car system.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 19 2016, 08:29 »
The boom isn't long enough to drive a third reef using the same sliding car system.

Thanks Nigel.
Apart from the boom not having sufficient space to run a third set of cars, it does appear to have provision for a third set of sheaves at the forward and aft ends, but if they were ever fitted, they are not there now.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 20 2016, 19:08 »
There is only space for two cars in the boom - these are for the first and second reef. Third reef needs to be fed through underneath these and the outhaul. If done carefully it does not interfere with normal working of these. Due to its position - high on the main - and the lack of turning sheaves this means there has to be lots of line too. However, having needed to use reef three several times I can put up with that 'inconvenience' :cop ::)

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 25 2016, 03:20 »
To reduce the amount of line to be installed for the third reef, with reference to Dawntreader's great diagram. At the gooseneck (A) where the line is lead down to a turning block at the mast base, lead this the other way around the sheave at the turning block and up to the luff pulley then down to the deck. this does not reduce the amount of line needed to be pulled in for the reef only reduces the amount needed. There would be a slight reduction in friction too, by removing one pulley from the system.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 25 2016, 07:20 »
To reduce the amount of line to be installed for the third reef, with reference to Dawntreader's great diagram. At the gooseneck (A) where the line is lead down to a turning block at the mast base, lead this the other way around the sheave at the turning block and up to the luff pulley then down to the deck. this does not reduce the amount of line needed to be pulled in for the reef only reduces the amount needed. There would be a slight reduction in friction too, by removing one pulley from the system.

......this is the part not fitted into my boom although there is a place for it  :o hence the use of a second block at deck level