Author Topic: Trouble flushing?  (Read 3975 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Trouble flushing?
« on: June 24 2016, 21:31 »
Following the discussion on this earlier thread: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1243.msg6880.html#msg6880, I would just like to share this with you. Despite the successful effort to clear the header tank problems, the toilet was becoming difficult to flush. I have a second pump on board (due to previous bad experience 'on voyage') and fitted this just in case that was where the issue lay. Nope, same clearance problem. I then removed all fittings up to the header tank from the pump and had a look at the 38mm 'up' pipe which fills the header tank [now is a good time to view the attached photo]. I have now replaced the pipe and all is well. Have you checked yours lately?  :sick

By the way, the photo is of the top of the pipe - i.e. the pipe was calcified the whole way up!

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Trouble flushing?
« Reply #1 on: June 25 2016, 23:06 »
Hi Dawntreader nasty indeed, we use vinegar weekly when we flush and let it sit in the lines.
At the end of the season I use a product called "salt away" also let it sit in the hose (I'm pretty sure that's the name of the product) it removes a lot of "stuff" from inside the lines as I see it accumulating in the bowl.It's also biodegradable.
Cheers

Stuart

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 26 2016, 06:48 »
Hi Dawntreader nasty indeed, we use vinegar weekly when we flush and let it sit in the lines.
At the end of the season I use a product called "salt away" also let it sit in the hose (I'm pretty sure that's the name of the product) it removes a lot of "stuff" from inside the lines as I see it accumulating in the bowl.It's also biodegradable.

Thanks Stuart, we too use vinegar and several other products for the same purpose as you do. What is seen in the picture is a 10-year, 19,000 mile, accumulation and, whilst the 'visible' parts of the system are kept clear it would seem the 'hidden' elements are not  :-\

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #3 on: June 27 2016, 09:27 »
On the previous thread (link above) the Clipper round the world heads issue was correctly mentioned. From personal experience the procedure was to flush with 15 to 20 pumps to clear the long pipe or blockage was pretty much inevitable. The tanks needed emptying regularly (ie each watch). The standard Jabsco pumps also required servicing regularly. Not ideal but better than a bucket, and it was racing not cruising so different priorities.

On my Bavaria I use biological washing gel periodically (Ariel), put down the head and then simply pumped into the holding tank. The enzymes break down the mess and help with the smell. I can't remember where I got this tip but I have found it has improved things dramatically over my previous regime of vinegar.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 27 2016, 16:08 »
I use these: http://www.duckclean.com/freshdiscs/uk/ (Lidl sells them). Comes with a plastic applicator and just sticks to the side of the bowl, no wonky plastic hangers that fall off. They last a good long while and seem to prevent limescale buildup and keep the bowl clean, although I'm not sure by what mechanism - they don't seem to contain acid. Ingredients may not be too environmentally friendly  :-\, but it releases only a very small amount per flush. No buildup in the toilet or pipes yet, but it hasn't been too long since I serviced the whole contraption. Nota bene, I have plastic seacocks, so do not need to worry about anything attacking the metal, although with no acid on the ingredients that is probably not a concern.

Edit: I've also read and followed the Jabsco instructions that tell you how often you must pump per meter pipe to clear the whole length, and for my boat that works out to 15 pumps for a complete flush of the pipe, which I do (and crew just accepts this as part of weird boat toilet rituals).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: June 28 2016, 10:58 »
Edit: I've also read and followed the Jabsco instructions that tell you how often you must pump per meter pipe to clear the whole length, and for my boat that works out to 15 pumps for a complete flush of the pipe, which I do (and crew just accepts this as part of weird boat toilet rituals).
My boat partner refused to believe it needed 15 pumps. Proved it by pumping out washing up water, counting the strokes until bubbles seen. Now fitted an electric conversion that needs about 5 seconds; my instructions therefore say 10 seconds.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 28 2016, 19:06 »
.....preparing a little stick-on note that says 'pump at least 15 times'  :cop

jonrarit

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: July 05 2016, 17:07 »
hmm looking at the OP's original photo I guess I have a messy job lined up when I next go out to the boat in a fortnight. 10 year old original pipes I suspect are not going to look too different.

Does anyone know what I/d & O/d the heads-to tank and tank-to-outlet pipe is used?

I might pre-empt my visit by ordering new ones in advance. Also anyone know the length from head-to-tank and tank-to-outlet is needed?

Mines a 2006 B36 cruiser 3 cabin version with forward heads

thanks in advance chaps

jonathan

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: July 05 2016, 17:43 »
Does anyone know what I/d & O/d the heads-to tank and tank-to-outlet pipe is used?

All my toilet plumbing comes in two sizes, big and small. Small is 19mm ID hose with 3/4" seacocks (shower, sink and flush intake). Big is 38mm ID hose with 1½" seacocks (all of the waste hoses).

Do yourself a favour and buy the much more expensive butyl hose instead of the standard sanitation (satanic really) hose which you have to molest with hot water, heat gun or other silly tricks to get onto hose tails from where it generally becomes impossible to remove again and the smell penetrates it after a year or two anyways. I sure wish I had! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

jonrarit

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: July 06 2016, 09:48 »
Thanks Yngmar ..... I'll get some ordered in ready for my arrival.

Jonathan