Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

bavaria 30 cruiser

(1/3) > >>

bert:
Good day , thinking of buying a bav 30 cruiser 2006, have you experienced any pros and cons of the boat itself or its equipment ?

Trapeze Artist:
I have a Bav 30 Cruiser built in 2005 and commissioned in 2006. As she is my first big boat, I don't have a lot to compare with. But I'll have a go:
Broadly speaking, I'm very happy with her. She is very well built and as tough as old boots. MAB owners who criticise modern boats don't know what they are talking about.
The Volvo D1-30 is very smooth and quiet. I've just had to overhaul the raw water pump after 250 hours (which didn't amuse me) but the poor thing does spend it's life pumping a pretty muddy concoction so I suppose there is some excuse.
The space inside is huge for the size of boat. The only aspect I would change would be to give up some chart table space in order to get a bigger heads.
My own opinion is that she sails quite stiff initially (form stability) but then becomes a bit more tender when pushing hard (25% ballast ratio). Reef early.
My genoa didn't have a sacrificial strip and it shredded all down the leach. The standard Elvstrom sails are not the boats best feature.
I would prefer not to have the fixed cockpit table, in order to make more space.
The side decks are quite narrow. Watch where you put your feet.
The canvas work supplied by the dealer from new (wheel cover, sail cover, sprayhood) is not very good. All the stitching has gone. It seems they've never heard of UV in Scotland!
Fantastic value-for-money.

Bronco 30:
I bought a second hand as you plan to do, but poorly maintained. I have a B30 Cruiser Built in 2005 commissioned in 2006.
Issues:
-Main Sail Bag "dissolved"
-Not so fast as I would expect. This is my first boat and I've already identified the problem. (Skipper)
-Many water leaks. (Not Structural - poorly maintained)
-Volvo Engine Rev/Hour Counter. (Check it. Its expensive).
-Main Sail control System. Not the best solution. Solved in last versions.
-As said "The side decks are quite narrow. "
-Hilarious WC

Trapeze Artist:

--- Quote from: Bronco 30 on June 12 2012, 15:30 ---

--- End quote ---

What was the solution? I'd quite like to improve the main sheet, although I do a lot better at centring the boom now than I used to.

Bronco 30:

--- Quote from: Trapeze Artist on June 12 2012, 22:52 ---
--- Quote from: Bronco 30 on June 12 2012, 15:30 ---

--- End quote ---

What was the solution? I'd quite like to improve the main sheet, although I do a lot better at centring the boom now than I used to.

--- End quote ---

Not really a solution but perhaps a better way to handle it.
I'm not able to describe it but take a look at this video (Bavaria 32 Cruiser Sailing). There was another one with a guy explaining the virtues of this new way but not able to find it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=GOpuWeyc46o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version