Author Topic: charging ships battery from the engine  (Read 3703 times)

Briannn

• Swab
  • Boat Model: sportline 320
  • Boat Year: 1991
charging ships battery from the engine
« on: June 15 2016, 23:30 »
I am the new owner of a Bavaria 320 Sportline (1991 vintage) unfortunately the boat didn't come with an owners manual and I am figuring stuff out for myself as I go. I appear to have a problem with the "ships" battery as I am unsure if the charging circuit is working effectively or perhaps the battery itself is unserviceable. The battery was struggling to power the GPS after a night at anchor with the anchor light being the only draw on the ships battery after 2 hours of motoring into the anchorage. I ran the engine for an hour this afternoon to charge the batteries (engine batteries seem OK) but the ships battery was showing 10 volts on the panel tester before the engine ran and 14 volts after. What surprised me most was that turning the "ships" main red isolator switch on and off during the engine run had an audible effect on the engine rpm. I can't understand why this should be if all is as it should be. I expect the battery to charge when the engine is running whether the main red isolator is on or off (is this correct?). I can't see why turning on the "ships" main red isolator should cause the engine rpm to dip, it is as if there is something drawing power directly from the engine, could it be I have a short circuit somewhere in the "ships" circuitry which is isolated when the "ships" main red isolator is off but drains the battery as soon as it is switched on? Any advice gratefully received, if anyone can point me to a user manual for this model that would also be helpful.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: charging ships battery from the engine
« Reply #1 on: June 16 2016, 07:59 »
It seems that your battery is practically dead.

10V is a voltage that a battery should never fall to.
14V during engine operation indicates that your alternator is functioning properly.
RPM drop when connecting the battery also indicates that it is dead and is a very large electrical load on the alternator (which loads mechanically the engine).
This does not mean that there cannot also be another electrical load on this circuit (which may also be the cause for draining the battery) - you need to use a current meter an see if there is any current flowing from the battery when all circuit breakers are off, and at that time also check current consumption for each circuit and see if it makes sense.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 16 2016, 08:44 »
I agree with Lyra's comment.
A useful check if your batteries are of the type where you have access to each cell is to check the density of the electrolyte within each cell. Using a hydrometer, the density of the liquid should be 1.250, but might be anywhere between 1.200 and 1.300. What you are looking for is whether there are any cells where the density is particularly low, and also if there are any cells where the electrolyte is below the top of the plates. A cell with very low density would point to a dud battery, one that needs to be changed. Very low electrolyte levels would also point to a battery that is not holding its charge and which in consequence will be giving off a lot of hydrogen gas resulting in depletion of the electrolyte. Take care when checking the electrolyte as this stuff contains a mixture of de-ionised water (harmless) and sulphuric acid (very dangerous). The acid will burn a hole in your clothing and your skin and you particularly need to wear eye protection as the liquid within the cells will bubble while charging is in progress, and spitting tiny droplets in all directions as each bubble bursts. Low electrolyte levels can be topped up using de-ionised water to a point where all of the plates within each cell are covered.
My guess is that your batteries are most likely knackered, but in your description you mentioned turning off the red isolation switch. Why you would want to do that I don't know, but normally with an engine running that switch should be on, and not turned off at least until after your engine has been stopped. I'm not sure if turning it off with the engine running is likely to damage your alternator, but I would not want to take that risk.
Normally turning the red switch on, is one of the first things I do when going onboard my boat, it remains on throughout the time I am onboard, and is one of the last things I turn off prior to leaving.
Good luck with your investigations.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: June 16 2016, 13:03 »
Charging for a couple of hours is unlikely to do much good, get a multi-stage mains charger and leave it connected for 24 hours. It may be that allowing the batteries to get as low as 10V has killed them, but you may be lucky.

I don't have the "big red isolator",  but I know two things: yes a charging load can slow an engine, but switching the batteries out of circuit can blow up the alternator. Don't do it again with the engine running. 
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 16 2016, 16:06 »
...absolutely agree with Nigel on this - DO NOT switch off the red isolator with the engine running, there is a real risk that you will burn out your alternator and charging circuitry, and a remote risk of a fire (...to be avoided!). Like Salty, I switch mine on as soon as I get on board and only switch it off as I leave.
ATB

Mark

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: June 16 2016, 19:29 »
There is no mention to which type of "big red isolator" is installed, but only disconnecting both house and engine batteries while the engine is running will damage the alternator diodes - if this switch only controls the house battery then there is no problem.
This is why I do not like the 1,2,both,off switches - because of the "off" position. This is also why I have no isolator installed for the starting battery - makes sure one battery is always connected
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Briannn

• Swab
  • Boat Model: sportline 320
  • Boat Year: 1991
« Reply #6 on: June 16 2016, 21:00 »
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I should have been clearer, I have two big red isolator switches below the instrument panel, one marked "engine" and one marked "ships". I haven't touched the "engine" isolator switch whilst the engine is running as I had assumed this would simply cut out the engine (my ignorance of diesels perhaps). There does not appear to be a problem with the "engine" circuit or batteries (there are two big ones wired together). The "ships" battery is a single one which seems to be struggling to hold a charge. Testing the "ships" battery after an hour of engine running (after the engine was shut down) showed 14 volts. I assume if that has dwindled to the 10 volts I had before running the engine when I next visit the boat it indicated an unserviceable "ships" battery.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 16 2016, 22:58 »
That does not sound right. The engine only needs a small battery (typically 70AH) and the "ship" or "house" bank should be the larger one. It is usually two 100AH+ batteries wired together in one bank. The fact that you have two isolators suggests also that you have a split charging system that would normally charge the engine battery first (because it needs only a small charge) then switch to the house bank.

If you are indeed running the house from the small battery then it will not last very long.