Author Topic: Sail Drive Oil Change  (Read 19402 times)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Sail Drive Oil Change
« Reply #25 on: July 01 2016, 10:56 »
My B42 year 2000 has a Volvo MD22 and leg. Can anyone advise me how to identify which leg model I have ?
Mine has a brass plate on the rear of the gearbox, just below the filler cap.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #26 on: July 05 2016, 11:11 »
I have read about skippers saying they have problems removing the drain plug.
May I suggest the following, and have never had any need to use an impact driver ...
Clean away old antifoul paint and any marine crud.
Apply penetrating oil such as WD40.
Clean the screwdriver slot with a small screwdriver and wire brush.
Insert the biggest screwdriver that will fit snugly at home in the slot.
Tighten an adjustable wrench onto the  blade of the screwdriver, adjacent to the screw, for extra leverage and turn the spanner while keeping upward pressure on the screwdriver to ensure it stays in the slot.
The screw should undo easily. Have a 3 litre container handy to collect the oil. ( Note that it flows out more easily if the filler cap or dipstick is removed to allow airflow in).
There should be a neoprene ( rubber like) washer under the screw, which may need replacing.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #27 on: July 05 2016, 11:37 »
That's great Anthony, so long as the slot in the screw is not already worn as a result of current or previous owners using poorly fitting and often smaller screwdrivers than are optimum for the job. Looking through various tool shops at the screwdrivers that are available, and many shops only keep in stock those tools that sell easily and quickly with the result that what you want for this specific job is rarely available. The exception is one of the tool bits that are supplied with many impact drivers, and which is big enough to fit the drain plug properly, and which may fit into a half inch or other suitably sized ratchet spanner. Otherwise, yes I agree.

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #28 on: July 06 2016, 08:46 »
I would also suggest having a large funnel ready to collect the oil and direct it into the container, as it did not come out neatly for me.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #29 on: July 10 2016, 12:22 »
The leg model and serial number is on a plate attached to the top rear of the drive; I notice this info is also on a sticker attached to the belt housing at the front of the MDL22 motor.

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #30 on: July 11 2016, 10:14 »
Thanks Nigel and Anthony re leg ID.
Sure enough it is there. Unreadable on engine belt cover but I will get it from the rear of the gearbox.
Sorry late response....failed to go to thread page 2