Author Topic: Automatic Bilge pump wiring diagram wanted  (Read 3263 times)

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Automatic Bilge pump wiring diagram wanted
« on: June 02 2016, 06:24 »
We recently purchased a 2005 36 Cruiser. I would like to change the manual bilge pump setup to an automatic pump. I am assuming that at this time it is a manual (on/off). Is it possible to use the same panel switch/breaker or will I need to add a 3 way switch?

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Automatic Bilge pump wiring diagram wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 02 2016, 07:49 »
I simply connected a float switch directly to the house battery. This is in parallel to the manual switch in the panel.
By default it will be the float switch that operates the pump. If for some reason I want to operate it manually I do it from the panel.
I also connected a buzzer in parallel to the pump to get an audible signal when it operates.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 02 2016, 14:26 »
If you really want an automatic pump then it needs to be "always on", therefore wired direct to the battery. However, unlikely to ever need it as most Bavarias are dry. If you are getting water in the bilges, stop the source.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 02 2016, 15:54 »
Excellent. For some reason I couldn't  look at the problem from a different point of view rather then deal with the panel. Of course it needs to be direct to the house or a direct house bus...  Thank you both.

I also like the buzzer idea as at times I am away from the boat for a couple months in our winter and will have others checking on the boat in the water.
I love the fact that the boat has a dry bilge, although the admiral has found a whole new storage potential... ;D

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 03 2016, 00:04 »
Be careful what you store in the bilges. Anything likely to flake could clog the pump when you most need it. The replica of the "Bounty" sunk in the Atlantic, partly because they had not removed the sawdust/wood shavings from the recent refit. Clogged the bilge pumps.

If bilges have any water in them, you have a problem. Bavaria bilges should always be dry. We vacuum the dust from our bilge on a regular basis.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: June 04 2016, 12:33 »
Battery, fuse, float switch, pump, battery return. Manual switch overrides float switch.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator