Author Topic: Fresh Water in Bilges  (Read 8405 times)

simonmoore

• Swab
Fresh Water in Bilges
« on: June 03 2015, 01:43 »
Since owning my B38 the bilge ever so slowly fills with fresh water.  I cannot see a leak from the forward water tank so suspect this might be rain water ingress.  The question is from where?  All windows/hatches are good.  Has anyone else experienced the same?

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Fresh Water in Bilges
« Reply #1 on: June 03 2015, 05:54 »
did you have this problem only in spring and no problems in summer?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 03 2015, 06:00 »
Unfortunately Simon, lots of us have had problems with water leaks. Rail stanchion bases, any fitting whose securing system passes through the deck or cabin top, as well as leaking fresh water systems, particularly on those boats that are a few years old, have all been the subject of numerous discussions on this website. Frequently water enters at one point then travels internally to another where it makes its presence known, so some detective work is usually needed to determine the source. All part of the joys of owning a boat. And then on top of that you have good old condensation, so good luck in finding the source.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: June 03 2015, 09:03 »
all boats leak , unnatural otherwise , though our leaks so far never amount to more than evaporation copes with , some years dont even my bilge atal,

west of scotland , so plenty rain , waves over decks , leaks at shroud penetrations slightly  , and spotted one from toe rail bolt in strbd aft cabin cupboard  ,

did have a leak from around compass in pedastal , but rebedded and has stopped

most of bilges full of dust .

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 03 2015, 10:02 »
Just to add to the above, another common source is the shower on the stern, or the connections inside. Can be frustrating finding the source as it may be a long way from where you see it going into the bilge.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 03 2015, 10:34 »
Decks have an inner and outer skin, so water can get through the outer skin, and run down between the skins towards the gunwales.  So you may think that your windows and hatches aren't leaking, but you might be wrong.

Also, the deck fittings are all put in with silicone, which degrades and lets water in after a while.

So, if the foam behind the hatches and windows looks hard and cracked, remove and re-bed. Remove the deck fittings (especially things like tank fillers on the sidedecks and the fittings on the transom) and re-bed them with sika.

Then whip the internal linings out along both sides and pressure wash the boat to check for leaks from the stantions, cleats, and hull/deck joint.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: June 03 2015, 11:45 »
I also experienced the same leaks as already mentioned before. When I bought my BAV 38 (2003) in 2009 it had also fresh water in the bilge. I asked the Surveyor to look for the source, but he couldn't find. In the price I calculated to replace the aft cabin water tank. Later it proved to be the boiler. The SS tank was fully pitted when I pressurized it with water from the shore connection!

Ger

Tsadpt

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: July 21 2015, 22:25 »
I had this issue which turned out to be a very fine hole in a fresh water hose behind the engine.  It sprayed a mist when the system was at pressure, and I only found it when I was poking around under one of the rear berths and realised the compartment was sodden.  It then ran down to the bilges.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: July 23 2015, 11:46 »
I had a slow leak from the hot water system under the rear berth; to check for leaks place some paper towel under suspect areas and check for wetness.
Besides fixing the leak I mentioned, I now always turn off the water pressure when leaving the boat. I also shut off the fuel supply at the main tank because if ever a leak began, I would find most of the fuel siphoned out into the bilge. 

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 20 2016, 19:22 »
Since owning my B38 the bilge ever so slowly fills with fresh water........... The question is from where? ....Has anyone else experienced the same?

Yes, I have just such a leak, and having determined that it is fresh water, and in the absence of any serious rainfall of late which precludes leaks from around deck fittings, I took a look at the tank changeover and fresh water pump area under the port side aft cabin berth on my B36 (2002). There I noticed there was a drop of water, one drop every ten seconds, leaking from the in line water filter located up stream of the water pump. Because it leaks before the pump, there was no tell tale periodic running of the pump, just half a bucket of fresh water to bale out once a week. Does anyone know where one can get a new one of those filters from, and exactly what it is called as searches so far have not yet found that specific type of filter.
I don't yet have a photo of the filter, but it is identical to the one shown in Simmo's photo from another thread and which I have borrowed and included here. I hope you're ok with that Simmo, and thanks.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #10 on: May 21 2016, 09:40 »
Salty, I had the same problem last year although my filter (looks the same type) screws directly into the pump on the unpressured side. The clear plastic cover had broken so the seating was loose and dripped. I searched high and low for a replacement and there isn't one. I tried the company directly (can't remember their name) and was told they are discontinued - would I like to buy a new pump? Not at that price, thank you so it was a case of repairing the filter, which I did successfully. Obviously, I could have replaced it with a separate inline filter but that would have needed changing pipes and I couldn't be bothered. Bilges been dry since last year.
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 21 2016, 13:50 »
Many thanks Mark, I've looked all over and wasn't able to find a direct replacement, but your mention about a new pump reminded me that I'd changed mine about three years ago, so I looked into the "bitsa come in handy box" and found the filter supplied with the new pump as shown below, but which I'd forgotten about. So if I can repair the old filter all will be well, otherwise it looks like I'll have to do some plumbing and fit the new one. Thanks again.

P.S. Forgot to add the photo, now added 23/05/2016, and no, I don't know why the picture appears initially to be upside down, it hasn't come from Oz !

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #12 on: May 22 2016, 07:34 »
On both ends, where that filter was, I put a piece of hose and fitted this kind of Jabsco in-line filter. Much easier to open and clean.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ddy-ZOQmL._SY355_.jpg
I still have a leak on the waterpump input. Unfortunately the Bavarias have no shut off valve by the tank, so every time working on the water system one has to run out all the water before working, Still a lot running in the bilge, where it is hiding in the hollow cross beams and coming out in small portions (while sailing and heeling), so I am never sure if it's fixed until bilge is dry for longer period.
Until last year water was coming in from several reling posts. I removed the wooden strips inside the cabinets (all rusted screws - non INOX) and tightend the bolts. Still have rain water coming in rather small amount from somewhere through the steering console.
The bigger the boat, the bigger the problems.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #13 on: May 22 2016, 19:19 »
Was discussing the absence of a shut off valve with the salesman yesterday as my new 33 does not have one and i am figuring out how to fit one. on my last boat I had to replace the forward tank and fitted one - very easy and cheap if you have a threaded fitting for the outlet spigot.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #14 on: May 22 2016, 21:43 »
I've had my fresh water system apart a few times now (replaced Shurflo pump - after 6 months the pressure switch is flapping on the new one), and since the pump and pressure cylinder are mounted at chest height and thus well above either tank, the absence of tank shut-off valves hasn't been an issue. I just switch off the pump at the DC panel, run the taps until the small pressure cylinder is emptied and then only half a pint of water comes out of the pump and short hoses/pipes.

By the way if you're shopping for freshwater parts or spares, the blue/red semi-rigid pipes on Bavarias of that era are Whale Quickconnect and available through SVB along with matching push-fit fittings (although plumbers' supply ones at 15mm fit equally well).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #15 on: May 23 2016, 07:50 »
There is lots of room for working under the bed around the front tank. I may fit an in-line tap from Whale to shut off the front tank. If the selector valve by the water pump is turned to select front tank the water should be turned off, besides the content in the pipes.
Work never stops. Bavaria definitely leaves a lot of projects for their owners to be implemented. The boats are not at all completed when bought. Still I love my old Bav 38.
Greetings
Horst

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 23 2016, 15:19 »
There is lots of room .... under the bed, ....... I love my old Bav 38.

That's OK Horst, we won't tell your spouse !!

As for those shut off valves, I'm going to put them on my "To Do" list for next winter, though it's odds on I'll never need them once they are fitted.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #17 on: May 24 2016, 08:29 »
There is lots of room .... under the bed, ....... I love my old Bav 38.

That's OK Horst, we won't tell your spouse !!

As for those shut off valves, I'm going to put them on my "To Do" list for next winter, though it's odds on I'll never need them once they are fitted.

yes, please don't tell. It's my secret hiding spot   ???
Greetings
Horst

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #18 on: May 24 2016, 23:36 »
I had a leak from a pipe connection leading from the water heater; this is a hot environment when the engine is running and plastic pipes tend to wilt when hot, thus the chance for leaks. I merely gave the pipes some strap support and the leaking stopped. May I also suggest that when you leave the boat you switch off the water pressure pump as a precaution against a pipe split or leak in your absence; if this occurs the pump, if left on, will simply pump your tank dry! I also make a point of shutting off the engine fuel; should there be a leak in that line the fuel could simply siphon out and fill the bilge.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #19 on: May 26 2016, 11:15 »
Hi Simon I had same problem with my B42.  Took ages to find but eventually traced to small leak at Hot water tank from the engine feed.  Only leaked after the engine had been running for some time and stopped when the engine stopped.  Hope this helps

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #20 on: May 28 2016, 11:29 »
So, the leak is fixed. It was the fresh water pump. Not only the connections were leaking but the pump itself, where it is screwed to the motor. A new Jabsco Pump replaced the old Shurflo, cost under 100 Euro. Peace on earth.
Greetings
Horst