Author Topic: Bavaria 40 (2001) Holding tanks  (Read 2773 times)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bavaria 40 (2001) Holding tanks
« on: May 25 2016, 13:55 »
I am a fresh owner of a Bavaria 40 - 2001. The boat is fitted with only one holding tank (larger heads next to companionway).

What size, shape, material and where have other owners installed a holding tank for forward heads. We would not need sea dumping by gravitation, so the tank does not have to be located above the waterline. In my cruising area there are plenty of suction stations available.

BR,

Tommi - a fresh B40 skipper

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Bavaria 40 (2001) Holding tanks
« Reply #1 on: May 25 2016, 22:55 »
If you need to retrofit a holding tank I would always advise that the tank is above the water line. You need to pump the toilet up into the tank then have it gravity assisted when emptying into the sea.

Pumps never get the bottom of a tank clean and will lead to build-up and problems latter.

Even if you have pump out facilities in your marina, this is relatively rare. The holding tanks should be emptied as regularly as possible.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 26 2016, 13:10 »
Agree with Craig. Above the waterline is best with gravity discharge overboard so that you retain the ability to discharge overboard and more importantly perhaps to be able to flush the tank thoroughly. You can still have a pump out.

You will find good information on designing holding tanks on www.tek-tanks.com

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 27 2016, 10:10 »
Thanks for your views.

In northern Baltic, sea discharge is mostly forbidden so I was completely happy with my previous boat having only suction out tank.

Now the B40 has one tank above waterline with both gravitational sea discharge and suction out. In my view the available tank location for the second tank in forward heads will dictate whether I will have gravitation sea discharge or not...