Author Topic: Resealing Genoa track Bav 38 ocean  (Read 4968 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Resealing Genoa track Bav 38 ocean
« on: April 30 2016, 17:51 »
Do I need to remove whole track or just lift each screw and inject sealing.  Also are screws fixed on to a imbedded plate with corresponding threaded holes.  Working my way around potential leak sources due to fresh water still in certain places.
Thanks
John

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Resealing Genoa track Bav 38 ocean
« Reply #1 on: April 30 2016, 19:14 »
Yep, the screws are held in threads cut into a glassed in backing plate, much like the winches and rope clutches. This is a good thing, because most of them are obstructed by the inner deck and cannot be accessed. A few are visible if you take off the cover plates at the bulkheads / tie rods (see photo).

Don't know if you have to remove the whole track - removing a leaky screw and shining a flashlight down the hole should tell you the answer to that one. I fear it may be the whole track. Do share please, as I've not found mine to be leaking yet, but others may have.

(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 30 2016, 23:24 »
Would think leaks through genoa track screws unlikely, but as suggested take them out and reseal. No point in taking the whole track up as the water can only get through down the screw holes - if at all. Probably your biggest challenge will be actually getting them out.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 01 2016, 07:44 »
In an attempt to solve a leak problem I removed my track completely. Some of the screws (I recall there were about 18) were very tight and difficult to remove but all eventually came out. Evidence of leaking on several was found - salt encrustation on the lower (exposed) part of the installed item being the tell-tale. All holes/threads were sealed and screws replaced.

The track on my B37 is slightly bent into a curve for 'normal'  installation so had to replace the screws from one end sequentially to refit it, gently pushing the track on one side as I went along so that the holes lined up. 

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: May 01 2016, 18:31 »
Hi Dawntreader, how did you persuade the difficult screws that it was better to come out rather than stay put? Was it just that they were a bit tight, but with a big screwdriver and determination they came out, or did you need more persuasion than that? Up to now I've been reluctant to be too persuasive as the boats previous owner managed to snap off bolts holding one of the rope clutches, and I don't want to end up with broken fastenings. Thanks.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 02 2016, 07:18 »
Hi Dawntreader, how did you persuade the difficult screws that it was better to come out rather than stay put? Was it just that they were a bit tight, but with a big screwdriver and determination they came out, or did you need more persuasion than that? Up to now I've been reluctant to be too persuasive as the boats previous owner managed to snap off bolts holding one of the rope clutches, and I don't want to end up broken fastenings. Thanks.

Hi Salty,
I didn't do anything 'special' other than use a hefty sized driver that fitted the heads properly. A little bit of tightening and loosening eventually won the day. I also recall it was the 'difficult' ones that had the encrustation - hence the reason they were awkward to remove.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 02 2016, 08:46 »
Ok, thanks Dawntreader, I'll have a go at them, but probably not until next winter lay up.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #7 on: May 03 2016, 22:53 »
For really sticky ones, I use an impact driver with, as Salty says, a really well-fitting bit. Tap it gently rather than an almighty wallop to loosen, then use a screwdriver to finish off. A squirt of WD40 never goes amiss (cleaned up later...!).
ATB

Mark

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: May 04 2016, 00:15 »
WRT using an impact screw driver. Suggest you use a heavy hammer used sparingly rather than a light one with gusto. It is important to keep the cam engage during the hit.

"do'nt use force, use a bigger hammer" sort of true.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 04 2016, 07:33 »
Thanks Mark and Pat, I'll keep your advice in mind when I start to tackle that job.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #10 on: May 04 2016, 11:45 »
Salty - sorry, I meant DT in my previous. Yes, good point by PatPrice. I should have said. A lump hammer used gently does the trick. A pin hammer used gently bounces off (with an amusing musical "ding").
ATB

Mark

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 04 2016, 13:44 »
They're threaded into aluminium plate, so you probably have some chorosion in there, so go careful.

BTW mine leak too.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #12 on: May 04 2016, 14:23 »
Before you hammer on things too hard, spray in some release agent and let it work for a bit.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)