Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean Gebo hatch handle  (Read 4987 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 38 ocean Gebo hatch handle
« on: April 22 2016, 07:30 »
Having trouble with handle on hatch...second time around.  One of the handles would not release to open and had to use force as no other way to release.  No access from inside as it a sealed storage compartment at the bow.  Handle turned but remain closed as other half remained in closed position.  This is the second time this has occurred.....replaced 2 handles last year.   Anyone had the same trouble.
Any advice appreciated.
John

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean Gebo hatch handle
« Reply #1 on: April 22 2016, 08:44 »
Same hatches same problem . When I finally get the thing open I take it to bits and get some wd40 into the works . The problem seems to be salt crystals [I wonder where they come from?] Geoff

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #2 on: April 22 2016, 21:02 »
I lube mine with silicone spray. Turning while hammering with your fist helps.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: April 22 2016, 22:24 »
....... Handle turned but remain closed as other half remained in closed position.  This is the second time this has occurred.....
John

Clearly this is a design fault with the handle system, so has anyone determined exactly what goes wrong, which part of the system it is that allows the handle to turn but leave "half remained in closed position," and more importantly how to modify the design to prevent this from happening?
Odds are that there may be something you particularly need to use at that moment when the handle chooses not to cooperate, and which may result in an embarrassing or dangerous situation as a result.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: April 23 2016, 10:00 »
I took mine apart, cleaned them and lubed them (also silicone grease), then glued the outer handles back on, which had come off on many of them (but PO had them all nicely collected in a plastic bag). No issues since, except once when something had shifted inside the sail locker and blocked the interior handle. Lesson learnt: Don't stuff it full to the brim ;)

Spares are available by the way, but a bit dear: http://www.seateach.com/gebo-standard-hatch-spares-500-x-500mm.html
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: April 24 2016, 19:38 »
Thanks it seems a common problem, will remove and silicon grease them. Will take care not to fill locker at bow too full also.
Thanks for all the useful replies
John

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #6 on: April 27 2016, 08:25 »
My external handles don't look like the ones in the link, they don't have a shaft. I've removed them all anyway.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #7 on: April 27 2016, 13:19 »
My external handles don't look like the ones in the link, they don't have a shaft. I've removed them all anyway.

You're right, didn't see that on the picture. Not quite the right spares then.

Removing them is not an option for the sail locker on the 38/40 Ocean, as there is no way to open it other than from the outside handles (or a spanner, which I don't consider an improvement).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #8 on: May 01 2016, 05:28 »
 I didn't throw them away, I keep a couple by the chart table for opening the locker.

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
« Reply #9 on: May 07 2016, 04:20 »
I've got a leak from one handle, how easy is it to take apart - i don't want to break anything as due my location spares would be difficult to get. Any ideas on what could be the cause of the leak?

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: May 07 2016, 08:14 »
They are easy to take apart.  The blue locking button slides off and there is one central screw to be removed, the head is below and central to handle.  Re the leak Iam not sure but seem the remember rubber on surface of handle next to glass....but could be wrong. 
John

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: May 09 2016, 15:32 »
Update- handle off dismantled completely and cleaned and greased.  Moving better but if I tighten central screw seems slightly tight again so didn't over tighten!! Turning much freer now
John