Author Topic: Heading sensor location  (Read 2238 times)

yarrawonga

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2016
Heading sensor location
« on: June 16 2017, 05:01 »
We have a Bavaria 37 yacht 2016 model. We seem to have had a lightning strike which damaged the navigation system.Our electrician is trying to locate the GPS heading sensor.
Any ideas?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Heading sensor location
« Reply #1 on: June 16 2017, 05:56 »
On a 2016 boat, the chances are that it was installed prior to delivery, so contact the importer and ask them for the name and contact details of the firm employed to fit the autopilot.
I fitted my own autopilot system on my boat, and if I remember correctly the recommendations for the heading sensor were for it to be located somewhere near to the middle of the vessel away from the extremes of motion such as pitching or rolling, away from concentrations of metals, so the engine compartment was out, and I also considered placing it away from electrical or radio interference, away from anything that might have a magnetic influence upon it and away from anywhere where somebody might place something near enough to it by mistake which might upset the operation of the sensor. In a previous posting elsewhere on the forum, there was for example mention of someone's under wired supporting garment being placed too close to the sensor and causing deviation, so that should help to rule out some locations.

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 16 2017, 06:16 »
On our 2013 Vision 42 the sensor/GPS compass is installed in the aft cabin(Port side) locker. Factory fitted. Well away from anything metal. Also convenient as the NMEA cabling runs down that side of the boat.
Try trace the cable run, if you can't find the sensor look for T piece plugs in the NMEA cables. These may lead you to what your looking for.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 16 2017, 08:27 »
On my 2014 Cruiser 37, the heading sensor is located in the wardrobe of the aft cabin (starboard as mine's a 2-cabin version).