Author Topic: cutlass bearing replacement - ocean 47  (Read 2969 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
cutlass bearing replacement - ocean 47
« on: April 11 2016, 08:14 »
There is a little play in the shaft at the P bracket so looks like wear in the cutlass bearing. Its an opportunity now to change it but wonder if there is also a half bearing in the shaft tube which should also be changed. I'm a bit weary to remove the shaft as i think the coupling may need to be broken apart and replaced - causing delay and difficulties to obtain. Wonder if I should just remove lower bearing with shaft in place - would need a special tool though. Any advice appreciated

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: cutlass bearing replacement - ocean 47
« Reply #1 on: April 12 2016, 00:33 »
Nice, the Ocean 47 must be one of the rarest Bavaria models out there.

Unfortunately it's also unique in that it has a shaft drive, where all or nearly all(?) other Bavarias have Saildrives, so unless there's another 47 Ocean owner around here, you may (in this one instance) find more help at the YBW forums, where there are lots of (non-Bavaria) shaft drive sailors (in the PBO section), who will know all about P-brackets, cutlasses and alignment.

Good luck getting it sorted!
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 13 2016, 11:27 »
It is possible to change the bearing without removing the shaft, although you do have to remove the propeller. However you will have to make up a tool with a split drift that fits over the shaft but will push the bearing out, and then some kind of clamp arrangement to pull the drift through.

So, probably easier to drop the rudder and pull the shaft out (after disconnecting it from the gearbox coupling). The bearing is a rubber lined shell that is a push fit in the P bracket but will also be located by one or two grub screws through the bronze. These will be difficult to locate as will likely be covered with antifoul. Once you have those out you should be able to drift the bearing out, but avoid bashing the P bracket about too much. it may be easier to cut along the bearing inside with a hacksaw first. The bearings are a standard size so you will need to measure the outside diameter and the propshaft size (probably 30mm, but maybe 35).

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: April 13 2016, 12:34 »
avoid bashing the P bracket about too much. it may be easier to cut along the bearing inside with a hacksaw first.

I've changed cutlass bearings on previous boats, and can endorse the above advice.
 Some bearings come mounted in a (often Bronze) bearing carrier, if you've got one it's necessary to remove the shaft and cut through it as described..........Bill

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: April 13 2016, 19:46 »
Thanks for the advice. I too have done this job on a previous Moody and used a special tool - which broke at the welds but in the end did the job without removing the shaft. But I was hoping someone on the forum had direct experience with the Bavaria installation. One thing I am confident about is that the shaft can be removed with the rudder in situ. Shaft is short and some distance away from rudder.