Author Topic: mahogany mouldings - internal joinery  (Read 2966 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
mahogany mouldings - internal joinery
« on: April 13 2016, 19:55 »
I am thinking to enclose the space above the nav station half bulkhead - so i can better accommodate instrument displays but I want this in keeping with the original mahogany/sapele Joinery. Anyone know of a supplier that can offer cappings and internal corners?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: mahogany mouldings - internal joinery
« Reply #1 on: April 13 2016, 23:45 »
Unlikely you will find ready made mouldings as there is very little demand for mahogany nowadays as most common is teak. I was lucky a few years ago and found some end of stock from a supplier who now only does teak - and imports most of them rather than machining himself. Matching timber stock is not too difficult to find and cappings relatively easy to make but corners not so easy.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: April 15 2016, 11:18 »
Robbins timber stocks sapele and can shape the curved trim for you, but it won't be cheap.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 16 2016, 12:18 »
Maybe I could stain teak to get a match. I tried this with a teak table with fairly good results. In fact its not so much of the colour that 's a problem - because the sun has bleached much of the wood to a much closer shade to teak. But maybe the grain difference would be more noticeable.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 17 2016, 09:26 »
That is quite possible. I use Colron dyes, but you need a bit of experimentation. Finding sapele faced ply to match is usually easy, although you may have to buy a sheet. Using thin facing ply glued to plain ply is often cheaper than buying 12mm faced ply. www.kjhowells.co.uk is a good source of mouldings. If you can get to their shop in Poole you can choose your pieces as colours can vary significantly. Also has solid sapele and mahogany and sometimes offcuts of faced ply.