Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean alternater  (Read 2575 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 38 ocean alternater
« on: April 07 2016, 23:11 »
Hi
Think bearing on alternater are done as unable to turn pulley by hand with belt off.  Couldn't get regulator off to release yellow wire so had to cut close to alternater.  Is this a sensing wire and how is it attatched internally?  May take alternater to local firm to see if bearing can be replaced but will need to attatch yellow wire again to reconditioned or new alternater.  Expensive item new from Volvo dealers.  Any ideas of a cheaper alternative, the old one is a Valeo but it doesn't exist but there is a replacement one on Volvo site.... Any idea re make model number as would like to know price direct from manufacturer

John

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean alternater
« Reply #1 on: April 08 2016, 08:59 »
Hi John.
  If you do need a new alternator, why not use a standard (very inexpensive) automotive one with a suitable output.
 It will not have a sense wire to worry about as it will just use the voltage at the +ve terminal to regulate.
 Tho' if you have 'splitting diodes' you'll lose at least 1/2 a volt (not good), but you can replace them with 'Sterling's' low loss equivalent to get the voltage back up to 14.5v+.
  The cost of the alternator and Sterling's smart little box will cost a lot less than buying Volvo's outrageously expensive one. ( which will just be the car one with a sense wire fitted) ..................Bill

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: April 08 2016, 09:12 »
What boat and engine?

Be aware that you may need an isolated alternator, it is unlikely that an automotive one will be.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: April 08 2016, 09:35 »
I think most regulators for the Volvo are made by Valeo and can be purchased from other sources.
This alternator seems to be popular and on Ebay you can also find compatible alternators for it.
If I remember correctly the yellow wire is not part of the alternator, it is part of the regulator which is detachable from the the regulator body - an alternator refurbishment business should have everything to be able to fix your alternator back to original functioning.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004