Author Topic: B36 Windlass "shelf" breakage and repair  (Read 5087 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
B36 Windlass "shelf" breakage and repair
« on: March 30 2016, 22:08 »
A short time after I bought Lyra the shelf holding the windlass broke.
I do not know if this is a factory installed unit or not but the installation was not done well and I also noticed that the quality of the deck itself was not that great.
For those who may face a similar situation (or would like to prevent it) I documented the repair I made here http://www.sylyra.com/windlass_repair_e.php
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: B36 Windlass "shelf" breakage and repair
« Reply #1 on: March 31 2016, 06:57 »
on my 37CR 2006 I have just the same problem. No windlass installed, but delaminated shelf....... I think is pure quality of Bavaria

ZhuHai

« Reply #2 on: March 31 2016, 07:59 »
Nice repair. :tbu 

On my B36 2002, I remember seeing a crack in the grp on the side of the windlass, I'll check it next week when I'll be back on the boat.

I always use an anchor snubber even in med mooring. It's really make the mooring more confortable and less noisy.

My main issue with the windlass is that the chain always jam when I lift it back. I have to sort it out with hands which is far from ideal.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: March 31 2016, 08:36 »
We had exactly the same problem about 7 years ago.
  What appears to have happened is that when the windlass was installed and the holes for the securing bolts/anchor chain/power cable were cut, no attempt was made to 'seal' them, so water penetrated the ply core causing it to delaminate.
  Our breakage wasn't as dramatic as Lyra's as we had spotted the flexing in the shelf before it broke up. Still annoying because it could so easily have been avoided during the fitting of the windlass........Bill

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #4 on: March 31 2016, 12:21 »
I have a similar issues on a Bavaria 30 with an aftermarket installation.  The windlass "shelf" is much shorter, too short to mount a horizontal windlass, so someone has installed a South Pacific vertical windlass, where the windlass body goes down through the back portion of the shelf and into the front cabin.  I first noticed some dampness in the front cabin after heavy rain.  The biggest leak is not the windlass seat, but where the back wall of the anchor locker/front cabin bulkhead butts against the ply shelf.  They do not line up meaning lots of sealant has been used to fill the gap.  Over time, water has worked down the gap, swelling the ply and leading to it rotting.  I also have the same problem that the gypsy is too low, meaning the anchor chain enters the gypsy at an angle and it sometimes jumps off when weighing anchor.  I'll need to cut out the rotten ply of the shelf and the back wall of the anchor locker, let in good stuff and glass it all up.  It does seem that windlass installation is not always thought through properly on these boats. 

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: May 28 2016, 17:02 »
I have a similar issues on a Bavaria 30 with an aftermarket installation.  The windlass "shelf" is much shorter, too short to mount a horizontal windlass, so someone has installed a South Pacific vertical windlass, where the windlass body goes down through the back portion of the shelf and into the front cabin.  I first noticed some dampness in the front cabin after heavy rain.  The biggest leak is not the windlass seat, but where the back wall of the anchor locker/front cabin bulkhead butts against the ply shelf.  They do not line up meaning lots of sealant has been used to fill the gap.  Over time, water has worked down the gap, swelling the ply and leading to it rotting.  I also have the same problem that the gypsy is too low, meaning the anchor chain enters the gypsy at an angle and it sometimes jumps off when weighing anchor.  I'll need to cut out the rotten ply of the shelf and the back wall of the anchor locker, let in good stuff and glass it all up.  It does seem that windlass installation is not always thought through properly on these boats.

Do you have any photos? I've wanted to fit a windlass for ages, but I always end up staring at the locker for a while, deciding it's too difficult, and kidding myself the exercise is good for me.

sunshine

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: May 31 2016, 12:52 »
PM sent

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: June 01 2016, 14:18 »
May I have the fotos to?
Kind regards

sunshine

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: June 01 2016, 14:37 »
I'm about to head off on my summer cruise, so it will be a bit of time before I have a chance to send them round, but will do.