Author Topic: Morse Control - 2006 Bav 30  (Read 10347 times)

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Morse Control - 2006 Bav 30
« on: September 23 2013, 00:18 »
Yesterday I suffered a loss of gears on my Bav 30. We quickly identified the problem as being the gear cable was partially separated from the Morse control and temporarily solved it by sticking the gear lever on the gearbox into  ahead. Then we "drove on the ignition key" to get into the marina (stopping was  tricky   :o).

It's hard to see in situ but I think something has fallen off rather than broken. I need to remove the Morse control to be sure, and then to fix it, but so far I have failed to get the lever off the spindle. It seems to be corroded on. I've sprayed it with WD40 and left it for the momentm but I'm not hopeful. Can anyone suggest a wizard way to remove the lever? I can't see a puller working as the hole in the centre is too small to allow the puller to bear on the shaft.

Assuming I manage to get the thing off and can pull the morse mechanism out through the inspection hatch, does anyone have a manual, illustration or other advice on how to attach the cable?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Morse Control - 2006 Bav 30
« Reply #1 on: September 23 2013, 10:17 »
There is a cross type device that holds the cable in place that has a very small split pin in it and its hard to get at, the pin may have come out or broken, I have data and photo but they are on my computer at home, however my summer sailing has come to an end and will be returning home later this week, so will watch how you get on.

If it is that end you need to take off all the covers and instruments.

Odysseus
Odysseus

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #2 on: September 23 2013, 22:48 »
Hi Odysseus

The end of the inner cable is still attached but the outer cable has come off. There is a loose piece of black plastic and stainless steel about 40mm long that is floating around on the cable and a bit of black plastic on the fixed arm of the morse control. I think the two should be joined together somehow.

I've taken the instruments out and I can see down to the morse control but the accessibility is very awkward. Ithink if Ican detach the morse control from the binnacle, I will be able to lower it, pull it through the round "dinghy" hatch cover, and then pull it out as far as the cables allow. I just have to crack the issue of removing the chrome lever. I'll go back to the boat tomorrow by which time the WD40 will have had over 48 hours to soak in.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 25 2013, 09:16 »
To remove the lever you need an extractor because the axle is tapered.
See attached info from Lewmar.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #4 on: September 25 2013, 14:51 »
It sound like the splitpin has come adrift,  as I say going home tomorrow from France will send photo, the black plastic bit clips on the the cross shaped unit and the is near the split pin.
Odysseus
Odysseus

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #5 on: September 27 2013, 15:08 »
Back in the uk again, the photo attached is the item I was talking about it sits behind the throttle inside the binnacle the black plastic still attached to the cable clips into the bottom by the hole and the splitpin I was talking about goes in the top holes stopping the cable coming out.

The horizontal grey arm that protrudes either side of the control unit with two holes in the end is the gear control arm. The two holes at the bottom either side in the grey casting are where the cable clamp/Anchor fits. The cable anchor bolts to the casting and pivots. To change the ahead/astern operation
Both these parts are very difficult to see and even more difficult to get at but it can be done by taking out all the panels on the binnacle.

I may have more info but cannot find it at the moment, if so I will update this. come back if you have a problem,

Odysseus
Odysseus

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #6 on: September 27 2013, 22:37 »
Thanks Landes and Odysseus.

The Lewmar info is great. I had already concluded I need a puller and that a car ball-joint splitter will probably be the tool for the job. Tomorrow I'll go down to the boat to take some measurements before heading off to Halfords. That data sheet is going to be perfect for getting everything sorted. :)

My problem is that the metal and black plastic bit shown in photo 3 has separated fom the rest of the mechanism. Once I get the handle off and can bring the assembly out through the hatch cover, I'm sure it will be easy.

It's a good job my boat doesn't use that neutral safety switch or the limp-home would have been a lot more involved.  :-[

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #7 on: October 05 2013, 22:20 »
With a bit of modification a Halfords ball joint splitter made an easy job of getting the handle off. I never did manage to completely manoeuvre the mechanism into a place where I could work on it easily but I got it just far enough to do the job (with some difficulty).

I found that the black plastic clip (shown in Oddyseus's photos) had broken. On checking with Lewmar I found that the part is available as part of a fitting kit which includes the two clips, two cable nipples, two split pins, various fixings, a replacement rubber cap for the centre of the lever, a replacement mushroom button for the gear disengagement thingy and a tube of superglue for fitting the rubber cap. Delivered in just over 24 hours (that may have been a bit of luck as the Lewmar rep was in the chandlery when I phoned) and a total cost of £20.

Everything is now back together and better than ever as I discovered the friction brake on the lever and the fact that mine was wound in too tight. It now glides between forwatd and reverse easily and smoothly. I now have a spare clip and various bits in my bosun's box in case it ever happens again. Thanks to Oddyseus and Landes for the  help.

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: December 21 2013, 14:22 »
I have the same problem Boat has been left  awhile. When checking engine found the gear selector solid (it was knotshy before). Is there a part number for the spares kit?

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #9 on: December 22 2013, 21:12 »
Unfortunately I seem to have lost the crucial e-mail with the info you need, Blue-max. :-[

The spares distributors are Aquafax (www.aquafax.co.uk). Speak to someone there and they'll know exactly what it is you need. Be sure to print off a copy of the diagrams provided by Landes above.

Having said that, the problem materialised for me as a floppy control lever, not a stiff or immoveable one. Before you go too far I'd suggest you detach the gear and throttle cables at the engine end and try it then. Also try moving the levers on the engine directly. I think your problem may be elsewhere.

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 19 2016, 11:06 »
Just back on the boat after a year. Have the spares kit and new cables but a little fogged as to how to put it back. I have the diagram but could someone confirm poison of cables on the control. Gear cable is to the side and throttle cable in the centre of the arm? Is that how it fits?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: March 19 2016, 12:57 »
Can't help you regarding the positions of the cable etc., but most of us these days carry a mobile phone with a camera facility. Taking pictures before, during and after stripping down an item for repair makes for a very much more simple rebuild !! That won't help you right now, but in the future........

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #12 on: March 19 2016, 16:36 »
look in this post that I made some weeks ago in the photo
http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1244.0.html
The cable that is still connected on the inner side of the mechanism plate) is the throttle
The side facing you (in the picture the holding bolt was placed back and you can see the broken part aside) is the gear engagement
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: March 20 2016, 08:29 »
Thanks,
Brain is switched back on and photo confirms arrangement of cables. Hope to complete without any more wobbles. Of course should have taken photo.
Spares kit was necessary because plastic clip -sits inside the holder to stop cable slipping broke. I wonder if filling the gap where the clip is positioned with resin would be an effective emergency repair?