Author Topic: Jabsco Fresh Water Pump  (Read 3654 times)

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Jabsco Fresh Water Pump
« on: March 14 2016, 10:52 »
Old Jabsco PAR-MAX 2.9 started to leak, quite noticeable when the pump was in operation, leaking around the joint of the two halves.   I had heard the pump occasionally switch on during the early hours so it must have been on its way out for some time.  Anyhow, a new Jabsco pump fitted and after bleeding the air out it seemed fine.

The difference at first was that turning the cold tap on instantly turned the pump on as it should.  When the hot water was turned on the pump would not switch on until after 10 secs and pressure didn't seems as good as earlier pump which was exactly the same.

We used the shower for the first time yesterday since the new pump was fitted and found that it was either too hot or stone cold and if I turned the tap to hot fully then the pump would then switch of and the water dribble then come back and but still not much flow.  On mix it was ok but the cold seemed to dominate the hot.  The shower was always excellent in the past and better than at home but now the hot has seemed to have lost its pressure.  Anyone had this before or any ideas?

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Jabsco Fresh Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2016, 23:33 »
If there was calcification in your pipes, you may have dislodged a lump and partially blocked a pipe.

Problem seems to be in the hot water system rather than the pump. The tempering valve in my DL water heater is temperamental.

Not sure of your set up but it may pay to check pipes and connections around your tempering valve and hot water tank.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
AUSTRALIA

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 17 2016, 08:54 »
For information the problem is sorted and it was the pump.
Original pump started to leak from the joint which was a Jabsco PAR-MAX 2.9 (12V) my local Chandlery had one in stock which is what I fitted but then had the pressure problem and really noticed it when using the shower especially the hot water.  What I eventually discovered and call me an idiot, is that Jabsco PAR-MAX 2.9 have a 25PSI low pressure pump which is what I fitted and also a 40PSI high pressure pump.  Model is the same but the text on the new pump stating 25PSI is very small.

Chandlery checked his stock and found a 40 PSI high pressure pump which was the same as my old pump and when fitted all heads and tap deliver full pressure once again.

I knew the PAR-MAX 2.9 had a 12v and 24v version but wasn't aware they also did high and low pressure.

Nice to have a end result though!

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: March 17 2016, 14:40 »
...I knew the PAR-MAX 2.9 had a 12v and 24v version but wasn't aware they also did high and low pressure.
Especially when one would assume that it is 2.9 bar.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator