Author Topic: water leaking into fridge  (Read 4692 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
water leaking into fridge
« on: February 28 2016, 11:24 »
I have a Bavaria 41 2003 and I find fresh water accumulating in the fridge. - a couple of cup fulls over a month even though the fridge is off and empty.

Does any one have any ideas where this water might be coming from. The boat has not been used during this time. It happens often.

Regards

Robert W

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: water leaking into fridge
« Reply #1 on: February 28 2016, 12:53 »
Do not know the layout of this boat -but I would suspect a leaking hatch, even if it is not located directly above the fridge. Try to place a large container under this hatch and see if water accumulates there instead of the fridge.
Check also the ceiling covers above the counter for signs of leak - maybe the leak is coming from somewhere on the deck.

2 cups seem too much for condensation unless humidity is very high and there is a substantial temperature difference over the day.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: February 28 2016, 19:49 »
I think I'd be looking at leaking rail stanchion fixings. I don't know what you have on a B41(2003), but if it's the same system as on a 36(2002), then rail stanchion leaks are something of a problem. Particularly if like my 36 yours should happen to be an ex charter boat where charterers would almost always pull themselves onboard using the rails or stanchions rather than the mast shrouds. In consequence the excessive strain this places on the stanchion base fixings results in fresh water leakage which can be particularly noticeable over the winter months when your boat is tied up in a marina, or is on shore out of commission in a cradle. Wobbly stanchions are a dead giveaway for this problem, but just because they don't only doesn't mean that the problem does not exist. Then you have to figure out how it gets into the fridge. On my boat the hatch for the fridge is set into the counter top close to the galley sink, and the hatch does not have a watertight seal. So any leakage or condensation dropping onto that counter top is likely to end up inside the fridge.
The next thing to watch for during the winter period is condensation. Staying overnight recently on one of the coldest nights of the winter resulted in a huge amount of condensation being noticed by the following morning. Some of this will undoubtedly have been from moisture from my own breath, but will also have been as a result of moist air entering the cabin during the relatively warm sunny afternoon from the previous day and then condensing out on the cold areas around ports, skylights and hatches.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #3 on: February 29 2016, 08:59 »
SAlty is absolutely right. reling feet are the problem. Most of mine were loose. What to do: Rip out the wooden strips in the back of the cabinets underneath the reling posts. all the screwa are rotten because Bavaria does not use stainless screws (one of the places where one can see the low price). I had to use some force to break the wood strips from the back, resp. the top of the cabinets, cut the rest of the screws and reset with new and stainless screws. Before that of course one has to reach in and up to tighten the reling foot, need a long box spanner. It was all damp/wet under there.
It was dry last season,don't know what happened during winter, will see my boat maybe sometime in April/May.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 29 2016, 11:42 »
Thanks for your responses. 
I have a 3 cabin layout. The fridge is next to the stove which is next to the sink.
I am not sure I understand the details of the responses.
Is it that the water is entering the fridge via its hatch which is normall left part open when the boat is not in use or is entering under the counter top.?

Would appreciate clarification.

Regards

Aquapore

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #5 on: February 29 2016, 12:17 »
If the source is leakage from around deck stanchions, then it's pretty sure that the water is finding its way through the fridge hatch. Likewise for any condensation that drips off the inside of the cabin top. When you leave the boat, do you open the fridge hatch just before your departure, and was the fridge working up until that point? If so, could it simply be that warm moisture laden air from the cabin then comes into contact with the cold interior of your recently opened fridge where the moisture then condenses out? Do you leave bottles of water within the fridge space which then take several days to warm up and during that time cause condensation until they are warm?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: February 29 2016, 13:42 »
Cannot offer help on the leak place but your fridge should have a pipe from the bottom of fridge into the bilge. Some people block this up as a source of cold loss. On Odysseus its at the left back of fridge.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: February 29 2016, 14:35 »
If it's any help, I've watched drips of water coming from the light fittings. My first thought was a leak in a coachroof fitting that was running down between the coachroof and headlining but, taking out the lights and using blotting paper, I found no sign of any dampness between the skins, only inside the metal rim of the light unit. I have a little drip-water in the fridge and stains on the upholstery under where the lights are. I can find no evidence of any leaks in any of the deck or coachroof fittings. I should add that it's been better since making foam insulation 'fillers' for the portlights and hatches although this winter has been the warmest on record, which may have been the real reason for the reduction in drips.
ATB

Mark

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: March 01 2016, 11:28 »
Thanks guys,

I had another look and cannot see out water can enter the fridge except through the fridge hatch. Mine it top loading.

There is no makes on the cabin to that suggests leaks - at least in that are.

The fridge has been off since Christmas and we leave the hatch half open when the boat is not in use.

I had some difficulty in following some of the explanations and a photo would help clarify.

I will close the hatch and put some cardboard over it to see if water enters.

I could not find the drain that was mentioned in replies. It would be good if I could find it and appreciate further info.

Regards

Aquapore

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: March 01 2016, 14:05 »
Its not the best of photos but you can see the area I am talking about.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #10 on: March 07 2016, 18:53 »
A couple of suggestions- why don't you try placing a yoga mat or tarp/plastic sheet or something on top of the fridge to see if it collects water? That way you will know if it's coming in the top-side. I'm on a '02, twin cabin model so a different layout, but we have a portlight that drips right over our fridge and if we didn't have the hatch of our fridge well sealed (we've lined it all in between the hatch lid and fridge opening) then the water would likely pool in there....