Author Topic: Mast Unstepping Bavaria 38 2003  (Read 8026 times)

simonmoore

• Swab
Mast Unstepping Bavaria 38 2003
« on: March 04 2016, 13:55 »
Hi all,

I am looking to un step my mast next week for some maintenance.  Has anyone done it and can they advise the process and potential pitfalls.

Many thanks

Simon

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Mast Unstepping Bavaria 38 2003
« Reply #1 on: March 04 2016, 16:13 »
Your rigger should be able to advise you on that. I've done it last autumn to renew the standing rigging, and the marina insisted on having a professional rigger for insurance reasons. Didn't seem to matter who did the actual work as long as he was present - nobody chased me off and I winched him up and carefully guided my furler all the way to the trestles.

Things you can do before is spray the turnbuckles with release agent and make sure they all turn freely. Also clear all your running rigging from the turning blocks at the mast foot and take it back to the mast or remove for washing (leave mouse lines and make sure they're tied on properly). Tie it all up well, just hanging it on a cleat won't do because the cleat will soon be horizontal. You don't want it falling off during craning and getting tangled somewhere. Don't use duct tape, it'll harden in the sun and you'll spend hours scraping the glue off the mast later. Don't ask me how I know this :P Oh, important, leave one halyard to winch the rigger up the mast.

Then, on the day, which should be fairly calm (we had to postpone it twice because it was gusting too much), take the split pins out and loosen the shrouds. You can undo the lower shrouds completely if you want, but leave slight tension on the cap shrouds just so the mast doesn't wobble when the rigger climbs up.

The rigger then went up the mast to install the sling for the crane, and a key part of that is having a very good guess where the center of gravity for the mast incl. rigging is. If it's top-heavy, it will invert, slip out and you'll be sad.

Then the crane lifts the mast just enough to take the weight, while you undo all the remaining standing rigging and take it back to the mast to tie on as it lifts off. The forestay with the furling foil must not be bent, so it'll require careful manual guiding all along the way.

Finally, the mast gets tilted horizontal and put somewhere (ideally on some trestles so you can work on it, even if it's just for giving it a good scrub). The horizontal tilt is the other reason the center of gravity for the sling must be found - if not, you'll have to readjust the sling, which can be precarious.

Your rigger should be able to tell you all of this beforehand, as mine did. Talk to him, he may prefer to do things differently from mine!

Edit: Forgot to mention one bit - disconnect the mast wiring. Mine was joined just below the mast step inside the ceiling panels and once photographed and disconnected it pulled clear of the cable glands easily. Stuff it into a sturdy plastic bag and seal it as well as you can (but again, don't use duct tape on the mast), then tie it on the mast too.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: March 04 2016, 17:51 »
Much the same as Yngmar, except that the yard had their own "cherry picker" and did not need anyone to go up the mast in order to place the mast lifting strop. As for bagging up the bottom ends of the mast wiring, the yard foreman specifically advised against doing that, on the basis that over winter invariably some water would get inside the bag where it would sit and stay, resulting in a damp atmosphere that arguably could cause corrosion on any plain untinned copper wires. At his suggestion I left the wires coiled up, but otherwise open to atmosphere. Possibly a better idea might be to coat the wire ends with a protective film of grease or similar substance such as "Scottoil" which we bikers love, just don't tell 'er indoors, as she might get all hung up over it !!  Scottoil can be purchased in a spray can from any half decent motorcycle shop, and will prevent any corrosion during the over winter lay up period. Be sure to clean it all off before you come to reconnect the wires or before you accidentally lean against them while your mast is on the trestle and your mind is elsewhere.
Don't forget to disconnect the boom, and secure it on deck, also if your mast is going to be horizontal for some time it would be worth removing the spreaders once the mast is down, and also your mast head tri-light, wind instrument, VHF and TV aerials, windex, and anything else of value in order to ensure that they remain your property when you next want them fitted to the mast. Ideally also put some form of identification on the mast so that it doesn't end up on someone else's boat, or as happened to me, when someone very kindly fitted a new windex.

solar

« Reply #3 on: March 06 2016, 10:47 »
What did you do with all the reefing lines inside the boom?
It looks very difficult to re install them again after they had been pulled out?
Isn't it easier and work saving just to fold the boom up the mast and keep it connected?
 :-\

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 06 2016, 11:02 »
None of the boom lines go into the mast. Just disconnect the boom at the gooseneck.

solar

« Reply #5 on: March 07 2016, 05:28 »
Opssss...You are so right.
My mistake.
Thanks.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 07 2016, 06:30 »
One other item not to forget. The crane hook and ropes will be close to the top of the mast. To ensure not to damage the wind indicator and other delicate instrumentation at the top it is  a good idea to take these off.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

simonmoore

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: March 12 2016, 09:51 »
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice which was most accurate.  I was lucky that the marina team at Dover use a crane and a man basket to strop the mast and remove wind instruments etc.  My rigger was not available so we did the job anyway but will use him to step the mast.  We completed the lift yesterday in near perfect conditions and all went very well. 

I am really glad that I decided to un step the mast as the metal plate which the foot of the mast sits on in way of the coach roof had cracked in several places.  I have enclosed a few pictures showing the extent of the damage.

I'm not sure if this could have had the potential to de mast the yacht but am very glad to find this particular problem.

Best regards

Simon

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: March 12 2016, 23:27 »
I am really glad that I decided to un step the mast as the metal plate which the foot of the mast sits on in way of the coach roof had cracked in several places.  I have enclosed a few pictures showing the extent of the damage.

I'm not sure if this could have had the potential to de mast the yacht but am very glad to find this particular problem.

I think it was fortunate that you didn't leave it any longer before having the mast lowered, as I believe there was a very real chance of having the foot of the mast come adrift from where it is stepped, after which it would have come crashing down.
From your photographs it appears there has already been some movement with consequent wear on the upper surfaces of the cabin top section of the mast step, along with some very heavy fore and aft and sideways pressures being put onto it. Your problem is in determining exactly what has happened, and why, because until you are sure of what caused all of the damage, you are going to be unsure of how to properly monitor it.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: March 13 2016, 07:33 »

I think it was fortunate that you didn't leave it any longer before having the mast lowered, as I believe there was a very real chance of having the foot of the mast come adrift from where it is stepped, after which it would have come crashing down.
From your photographs it appears there has already been some movement with consequent wear on the upper surfaces of the cabin top section of the mast step, along with some very heavy fore and aft and sideways pressures being put onto it. Your problem is in determining exactly what has happened, and why, because until you are sure of what caused all of the damage, you are going to be unsure of how to properly monitor it.

I think the burning question a lot of us now have is 'am I at risk too'?  :o :(

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: March 13 2016, 11:15 »
I'd send these photos to Selden and ask what may be the cause of this and how to avoid it in the future. They ought to be interested in this sort of thing.

Mine (40 Ocean from 2001, so possibly the same part - can look up part number later) was showing no signs of this when removing the mast last year and I doubt it's a common issue. Do you have a photo of the mast bottom fitting too?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #11 on: March 21 2016, 09:15 »
Topic split to keep shroud tension discussion in one thread
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator