Author Topic: Prop antifoul  (Read 3905 times)

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Prop antifoul
« on: January 24 2016, 17:52 »
Can anyone advise on a suitable antifoul to apply to my new Darglow Featherstream prop before It installed.  I normally use Hempel Mill Drive on my previous fixed prop but it's grey in colour and it seems strange painting a nice new prop.  I was thinking of using a clear antifoul but not sure what to use.  Any advice would be very welcome

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Prop antifoul
« Reply #1 on: January 24 2016, 18:16 »
I've used Velox plus, although mine's a fixed blade Volvo prop (aluminium). You'll also need a primer, if you want to play it safe, buy theirs. The antifoul is white.

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 25 2016, 16:16 »
I have had good performance from black Trilux on both standard and folding props. You are in a good position starting with a clean prop and using the primer then spray top coat. Not entirely sure how it will stick to the stainless blades, but it does to the bronze of my FlexoFold. Really does not matter what colour it is - the beasties won't like it and you can't see it. Do the saildrive housing at the same time.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 26 2016, 19:10 »
Hi. With aluminium, bronze and stainless props you will need to use a self etch primer on a well cleaned prop, before using anti-foul.
Etch Primer is a paint that is designed to physically bond itself to the substrate to which it is applied.
This is achieved by combining an acid with the paint so that the acid microscopically etches the surface of the substrate,
thus forming a physical and chemical bond between the two.
In most cases a colour will be added to the Etch Primer so that it can be seen.

Etch Primers are for the most part designed to work with either ferrous or non ferrous metals or in some cases both.
It is also advisable to use an etch primer on fibreglass and resin mouldings.

I used this:

U-POL Acid #8 Etch Primer

The U-POL Acid #8 Etch Primer promotes paint adhesion to difficult substrates such as galvanised steel and aluminium. It is ideal for rub through in primer prior to application of colour and it features a fast drying formulation that does not require sanding.

Best regards.
Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: January 28 2016, 09:28 »
In The Med only good working is VELOX. Best bought down there , cost half of what it cost north of the Alps.
Don't try any thing else, waste of money. But put many, many layers of Velox on the prop, rep. all metal down under (except keel). 5-8 layers is a good cover.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: February 28 2016, 06:11 »
Using Velox for the first time on my Bav 36 2004. It has been on for 12 months so far and I manage to grow a very good grip of barnacles if the prop hasn't moved for a few weeks. I can readily chip off by diving under on snorkel, but the previous antifouling treatment - Prop Speed - performed better. I applied three top coats of Velox over the undercoat as the directions recommended. Will I get a different result with more top coats? I hope I can get Velox to deliver a better result - it is considerably cheaper than Prop Speed.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: February 29 2016, 09:10 »
Last year I applied Prop Shield, which is like a red wax that is heated up to melt before applying. Complete waste of time. Don't bother.