Author Topic: Winch bolts access  (Read 2570 times)

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Winch bolts access
« on: February 29 2016, 12:18 »
I have a BAV 42 cruiser and decided to fit an additional winch for the gen furler in the spare space above the cockpit locker.  No issue with fitting that and access is easy, however, I just wanted to check if the other winches were bolted using just washers or had plates ender them.  But am I missing something!  I tried to access the winches attached to the sides of the cockpit entrance and after removing headlining still could not access or see the bolts.  The nuts for the main genoa winches are also hidden and no access to them.  I must be missing something as one day they winches may need replacing.  Can someone enlighten me?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Winch bolts access
« Reply #1 on: February 29 2016, 12:38 »
You will most likely find that the winches are bolted into a metal plate that has been embedded into the GRP construction of your boat. The metal plates most likely have been drilled and tapped to take the thread of the bolt such that there are no nuts on the under side of the plate. On mine, these metal plates are aluminium and the bolts used have been stainless steel which have become seized into the aluminium to the point where the previous owner, when wanting to remove a rope clutch, broke the securing bolts off. The ends of the broken bolts were below the surface of the GRP, and the broken off ends were irregularly shaped such that it has not been possible to drill out what is left of the old bolts without the drill skating off and doing more damage. Ideally the threads of such bolts would have been coated with "Duralec" to prevent them from seizing, but there is no evidence to suggest that Bavaria would have done that during construction, and so unless the original owner took the precaution of removing all new bolts and coating them as described, then like as not you are stuck with what you have already got. Maybe the bolts are not impossible to remove, just exceedingly difficult. Good luck.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 29 2016, 12:41 »
Hi, No mystery, the winches are mounted to an aluminium plate that is laminated in to the deck at the appropriate places. The aluminium plate is drilled and tapped for the winch bolts. A laminated in plate is also used for mounting the halyard clutches too if you ever need to fit additional ones.
Cheers

Mark
SV Synergy
B40 2009
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 29 2016, 13:33 »
That would explain why I cannot access the underneath.  Thanks for your replies, very useful.