Author Topic: Broken part in throttle mechanism  (Read 4925 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Broken part in throttle mechanism
« on: February 27 2016, 15:56 »
Today a part in the throtle mechanism broke.
This is one of two identical parts through which the throttle/engage cables pass before being connected at their ends
I searched to see if these can be bought as spare parts but could not find them.

Can they be bought separately or do I have to buy a complete mechanism?
Inboth cases - where can they be bought online?

One picture is of the broken part
Second picture is before I removed it from the cable, but already removed the broken plastic from the control assembly (the holding screw is at the left of the cable)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Broken part in throttle mechanism
« Reply #1 on: February 27 2016, 18:26 »
Lyra.
If you cant find them and it looks like you will have to buy the whole assembly, take the broken parts to the local engineering shop. They look pretty simple to re-make. Or do you know anyone that makes model steam engines? They will have access to a lathe and milling machine and can probably knock you one up in an hour or so....... If your near me on the south coast, I may be able to help you out in my workshop, for a Guinness or two that is  :kewl  Thinking about it did I see your boat in Port Solent? PM me if you need a hand..

BTW, did you notice that the throttle was getting stiff before this happened? May be that the cable is partially seized or the control leaver mechanism is. Putting too much strain on the part. I would check out the cause before just replacing them.

Best regards

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 27 2016, 19:05 »
Thanks Ant - I am in the Med.

The throttle was not stiffer than usual, but it did happen during an abrupt shift from reverse to forward - my wife panicked a bit while reversing to the dock. Although the part is 12 years old and things like that happen, the design could be a bit better  -if you notice there is a stainless steel cover on most of the plastic part - it broke exactly were this cover ends.

Anyhow after further searching I did find out that it is possible to get them - they are part of a  "Lewmar Fitting Kit For Control Mechanism" which includes a pair of these as well as the rubber cover for the plunge button, some washers for the throttle and cable ends to connect to the mechanism. Will order it.
If anyone ever needs them I found them in a UK site http://www.winchservicing.com/_Whitlock_Lewmar_Engine_Control_Fitting_Kit-47-3.html and a USA site http://www.velasailingsupply.com/Lewmar-Fitting-Kit-For-Control-Mechanism-p/lew89400146.htm
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 29 2016, 00:01 »
Yup, same thing happened to me a couple of months ago on my 2009 B31, and I know it also happened on a nearby 2008 B34.

Those black plastic parts are a real design flaw, and like you it broke on a shift into reverse while docking. They are a bit of a bugger to replace (tight space and I had to access via the binnacle as well as the helm) but I too got that kit you ordered and managed to fix it.

Good luck, and keep some spares!

Riyad
S/V Battuta
Vancouver, Canada

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 29 2016, 13:36 »
Yes again it happened to me when docking, the black plastic bit came off. My fix was to tie wrap the assembly with 3 small tiewraps, been on 2 years now. But I do check it each year. Not an easy place to get at its on the back of this bra ket.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 29 2016, 15:27 »
My fix was to tie wrap the assembly with 3 small tiewraps
I cannot see the tie wraps in the picture - will try to figure this out to have a temporary fix until I get the spares
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: February 29 2016, 17:09 »
Sorry photos before I put wraps on. But they go around the plate you see, even if you get new parts I would put them on.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 01 2016, 19:40 »
Thanks Ant - I am in the Med.

The throttle was not stiffer than usual, but it did happen during an abrupt shift from reverse to forward - my wife panicked a bit while reversing to the dock. Although the part is 12 years old and things like that happen, the design could be a bit better  -if you notice there is a stainless steel cover on most of the plastic part - it broke exactly were this cover ends.

Anyhow after further searching I did find out that it is possible to get them - they are part of a  "Lewmar Fitting Kit For Control Mechanism" which includes a pair of these as well as the rubber cover for the plunge button, some washers for the throttle and cable ends to connect to the mechanism. Will order it.
If anyone ever needs them I found them in a UK site http://www.winchservicing.com/_Whitlock_Lewmar_Engine_Control_Fitting_Kit-47-3.html and a USA site http://www.velasailingsupply.com/Lewmar-Fitting-Kit-For-Control-Mechanism-p/lew89400146.htm

Lyra.
Was in the marina today, there is a Bavara of the same name in Port Solent.
Glad you have found the bits you need.
Happy sailing.

BTW, thinking of putting our 37 in the med next year, and flying down when we can. How do you find the costs?

Probably another subject.............

Best regards.

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: March 01 2016, 23:12 »
Here's a tip while you have the lever mechanism removed: replace mounting screws with stainless cap screws, and of a sensible length. Wing-nuts are a good idea as well.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator