Author Topic: Voltage between positive and keel bolts?  (Read 3635 times)

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
Voltage between positive and keel bolts?
« on: January 13 2016, 14:00 »
[Note from Nigel: topic split from "Protecting your VP Saildrive from Stray Currents" (different engine)]

I am having trouble with my cast iron keel which gives me a reading of 12.7v when I connect [a multimeter] negative to the keel bolts and positive to the battery, this is with the lightening earth disconnected and no other connection to the keel, but when I remove the neutral from the block the voltage drops to 7v. :sick

The boat is on the hard.
Mick

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
Voltage between positive and keel bolts?
« Reply #1 on: January 14 2016, 09:43 »
[Nigel replied in the original thread that the MD22 is isolated from battery negative]

Thanks Nigel

That very near gave me heart attack :sick But as my engine is the MD2030c the wiring is different just checked again on bluemoment.com. Have you any ex plaintion on my other problem regarding the voltage between positive and keel bolts?

Thanks Mick

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Voltage between positive and keel bolts?
« Reply #2 on: January 15 2016, 08:37 »
The first thing to check is if this is a real connection; I suspect not.

Put a 12V or 24V light bulb (technically called a lamp), across the meter terminals and repeat the measurements. Don't use an LED or a small indicator lamp, 5W or more is needed.

The lamp will cause a higher current to flow, which will drop the voltage if the resistance is high. If the lamp stays lit, there is a connection. This is always a good method to use when checking stray voltages.

To stop you worrying, note that my keel is also connected to negative, via the VHF, through the antenna bracket, the mast, then the lightning strap. Took me ages to figure this out. I'm considering making a proper connection, as there isn't much I can do about it.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: January 15 2016, 10:32 »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for that I have tried the bulb test and there is no light or glimmer :o so maybe I am gust panicking but my keel does get a lot of pitting even though I have epoxied the dam thing. 
My vhf antenna is mounted on a plastic bracket which came with the antenna ;D
It took me awhile to find the download page that you mentioned in your first reply as there is no link that I could see so I had to search it with google, or maybe I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Thanks Again your doing a Great Job. :tbu
Mick

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #4 on: January 15 2016, 17:48 »
The Download page is reached from the site entry page http://bavariayacht.info
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
« Reply #5 on: February 11 2016, 20:13 »
Can anybody tell me where the large cable connection from the keel bolts actually connects to.  I have found the keel end but assume the other is for lightening and connects to the mast.  I can not see a connection anywhere under the mast.  The resistance between the mast and Keel is in the meg ohms. 

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: February 12 2016, 13:03 »
Hi

The heavy cable that is connected to the keel is for if the mast is hit by lightening it is connected through the deck at the base of the mast on my 36 there is a inspection cover at the basethe connection is via a bolt.
The mast is not supposed to be any potential as all lights are insulated from the mast.

Hope this helps
Mick