Author Topic: Exhaust Silencer Replacement  (Read 5075 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Exhaust Silencer Replacement
« on: August 05 2015, 14:10 »
My exhaust silencer has pitted and needs to be replaced. I have seen posts on this forum relating to this topic and in one 'Sunshine' recommended the use of the plastic Vetus Waterlock as an alternative to the Volvo part (828059). This suggested alternative is attractive as the plastic should be longer lasting than the metal version and it also has a Winter service drain plug.

Before going down this route I would like to receive any comments regarding its use - especially noise reduction, safety and suitability.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
[Dawn Treader B37 2006]

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Exhaust Silencer Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 05 2015, 16:54 »
I'd have thought the VP silencer would be a better choice.  Note that it's called a "silencer", although it does also function as a waterlock.  The part number you've quoted isn't right, you'd probably need 828064.  I think you've been unlucky with yours corroding; the one on my old boat was 24 years old and still worked fine.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 05 2015, 18:27 »
Thanks Tiger,
The number is 828064 - the one I quoted is marked on the silencer but I note from the engineering drawings that this only refers to the middle rubber tube. The part I really need is the end plate #828055 but this is out of production so looks like I will need to source the whole assembly. I must have been very unlucky as it has been leaking like this for some time and the boat is only 9 years old.

Your comment about it being a 'silencer' is noted but VP's engineering drawing (attached) shows that it is effectively a rubber tube with two  stainless steel end plates - so I assume its 'silencer' capability comes from the rubber tube and the inlet exhaust being under water to keep the noise down?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 05 2015, 19:26 »
Yes, I think the flexibility of the rubber tube is probably the key to the silencing aspect.

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #4 on: August 12 2015, 20:08 »
I tried to obtain an original VP part.  Depending on who you spoke to, it was either out of production, or extortionately expensive with the whole assembly being needed and the individual end-plate on its own not available.

The Vetus one has slightly changed the exhaust note, but not by much.  I think it was about 40 quid vs 250+ for the VP one.

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 12 2015, 20:20 »
Hi, I had to change my silencer this year on a B37 2006 for the same reason.
I decided for an exact replacement, easier to manage and without adaptations to a different design.
Cost for the complete assembly was about 130 Euros from a french Volvo workshop.
Dom

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 13 2015, 08:43 »
Thanks Dom, that looks more reasonable in terms of value. I am currently in Lanzarote so will have a wander round the various workshops here to see if they have one  :kewl

If not able to source one at a reasonable price will consider the Vetus option [thanks Sunshine] and add some soundproofing to the outside of the box (if necessary)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 02 2015, 17:52 »
Just thought I would create an update to this post:
I couldn't get a VP part in Lanzarote so in the end I took the silencer apart and had the damaged part repaired at home in the UK. An excellent repair for £10 - delighted!!

Bertrando

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: February 08 2016, 16:23 »
Hi, I have the same problem with water cooled exhaust muffler as @dawntreader.
I like the reparation he made but the question is: how many litres of water he spilled? or how is it possible avoid the spillage?
Thank you
Bertrando