Author Topic: Jabsco toilet  (Read 4509 times)

Cristal

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Jabsco toilet
« on: January 05 2016, 17:06 »
Hi, I have a 2004 Bavaria38 cruiser and I'm thinking about replacing the original Jabsco toilet bowl and pump. Can anyone tell me is the original a compact or a regular bowl? Thanks in advance.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Jabsco toilet
« Reply #1 on: January 05 2016, 18:27 »
Compact is standard. The latest models are an improvement on the old but dimensionally the same.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 06 2016, 08:53 »
I'm considering replacing one of my compact bowls with a standard one.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 06 2016, 17:11 »
It was one of the first things I did at my boat. Throw out the entire toilette. Replaced with the "Comfort" bowl, still smaller then at home, but bigger then a coffee mug. Also installed the Jabsco electric conversion kit  ----->>>

I know,
               I know,
                            I know,
                                           I know
                                                          it's loud. 5 sec. of loud noise, so what.

Still I hear my neighbor pumping his classic toilette in the morning. In any case it works now the forth year without any need of service or maintenance. Very reliable and effective. And the shredder even allows moderate use of paper.
I still have the original manual pump that came with the toilette in case of a failure of the electric pump. It's 100% form, fit, and function, thus easy and quick replacement.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 08 2016, 15:40 »
I like the idea of any alternative to the manual Jabsco pump, which I have 2 of on my Bavaria 39 Cr. No matter how well the heads are cleaned the heads will smell due to these pumps. Granted they are cheap and easily serviceable, but one of my future jobs will be to look at alternatives.

Pär

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36 H
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #5 on: January 08 2016, 16:45 »
Composting/desicating toilett, no smell. We've got our second now. If I had two head I Wold have one of those and one "normal"
Pär

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
« Reply #6 on: January 08 2016, 20:14 »
Par
Begs the question....
Why would you not have two composters?

Pär

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36 H
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #7 on: January 08 2016, 22:09 »
Why not 2 composters?
Because far out from land I Wold leta the outlet from the water toilett go straight to sea, no holdingtank. Short way out, small problems with smell. Closer to land, in marinas etc i would use the composters.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #8 on: January 09 2016, 08:08 »
... No matter how well the heads are cleaned the heads will smell due to these pumps...
This is a widely circulated misconception, possibly started by Peggy Hall. The smell comes from bacteria in the inlet pipe and is easily solved by fitting a Jabsco Pump Guard filter and placing a Milton tablet in it.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: January 09 2016, 10:45 »
I must say, smell is not a significant issue on my boat.
I bought my boat from a Charter Company, and as often usual, the septic tank was disconnected. It's a big black thing in the cabinet in the bath room, which I believe was originally meant to hold bad weather gear; it can drain to the bilge.
The output of the toilette goes straight to sea, which in my case is not a real violence of any rules. First here in Slovenia and Croatia, septic tanks are not a legal must, and on the other hand, we NEVER use our toilette in the Marina. We have good bath houses and toilets, no need to pee or worse in the ship's head.
I have not changed the situation, in fact last autumn I took out the tank and will rebuild the cabinet as storage for cleaning stuff, etc. with shelves. The suction opening on deck was leaking too, closed that up and sealed it.
As mentioned in the Marina or near shore we Never Ever use the boat's toilette. Now people may point their fingers at me and blame me as polluter or whatever, I don't feel like that, and I'm not breaking any law (as far as I know). 
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia