Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Head mirrors delaminating

(1/2) > >>

nomadic star:
Can anyone help with sourcing new mirrors or are they cut to size by templating old ones ?

Nigel:

--- Quote from: nomadic star on April 16 2012, 12:40 ---Can anyone help with sourcing new mirrors or are they cut to size by templating old ones ?

--- End quote ---
There are several people on eBay who cut acrylic mirrors to size.

nomadic star:
Thank you will give them a try.

Anthony:
I have had the problem of the mirrors coming off if that's whay you mean by delaminating.
I have also had the problem of the silver backing being corroded around the edges and therefore destroying the mirror quality. Once you have had some replacement acrylic mirror cut to size ( by an "industrial plastics supplier") use double sided adhesive tape to hold into place (or polished chrome dome headed nuts over shallow screws) and more importantly after fixing the new mirror in place, run a bead of white silicone around the edge of the mirror to prevent any moisture getting behind the mirror and repeating the corrosion. In other words form a watertight seal around the back of the mirror. Remember condensation or any other moisture intrusion must be stopped from attacking the 'silver' behind the mirror.

Nigel:

--- Quote from: Anthony on April 17 2012, 13:25 ---use double sided adhesive tape to hold into place (or polished chrome dome headed nuts over shallow screws) ...

--- End quote ---

Personally, I would use mirror adhesive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version